Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-12-2005, 04:06 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

time line of visable ick

how long does the visable ick cyst stay on the fish? i have a kole in QT right now and this morning i looked at him and saw 2 little white spots on on one fin a a 2 more single ones on different fins. an hour later i dont see them. i could not get a good look at him at an angle to see if they were raised at all. i s it maybe just some junk he picked up while sleeping?

steve r

Old 11-12-2005, 07:21 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Have you begun any kind of treatment yet? If you think it's ick, he should stay in the QT for a few weeks after the last visible sign of ick.

dskidmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 09:08 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

i did not start treatment. i QT all my fish and have treated for ick before. the other cases were much more clear cut. i am not sure if this is ick. it dissappeared very quickly. i a going to wait a couple days and monitor the fish

steve r
Old 11-13-2005, 02:28 PM   #4
steve-s

What time frame passed from the time the spots where visible to the time they dissapeared? Where the spots rasied of the fish or flat like diluted spots of milk?

The trophont stage is generally 3-5 days depending on tank conditions.

Cheers
Steve
Old 11-13-2005, 04:36 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

i would say the time frame was less than 4 hours. the spots did not appear to be raised. the dilluted spots of milk may be a good description. there is one tiny spot now on his fin that has always been there and not changed. it might be a scar though. it is flat and more of a discoloration.

steve r
Old 11-13-2005, 05:43 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

updated with pic

here is pic of the spot on his fin. the white spot is actually on the clear part of the pectoral fin not on the body. you just cant see the clear part. i have looked at this fish for hours and cant say that i ever saw it to be a raised bump. any other spots or dots you see are on glass or a hot pixel from the camera

steve r
Old 11-14-2005, 10:50 AM   #7
steve-s

I see no evidence of a parasite as yet. The spot you are refering to looks like a simple minor bacterial infection fish get from time to time. It's nothing to be concerned about. Just be sure water quality is maintained and foods fed are properly nutritious. The fish will take care of the rest as long as the stress is kept at a minimum.

Nice healthy looking tang BTW.

Cheers
Steve
Old 11-14-2005, 12:43 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

thanks for the insight steve. he has begun to eat nori and mysis soaked in selcon and is looking better by the day. i think he is going to be alright

thanks again

steve r
Old 11-15-2005, 11:29 PM   #9
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Nice looking yellow eye kole

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ick, line

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com