Toadstool Leather.... Dead or Sleeping????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brndfrb

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My toadstool leather has been closed for about two days now. Well none of his polyps have been out. I have had him for about 4 months and every day the are out and it ihas grown alot since i got him. Do they randomly do this? al water perameters are perfect. I just introduced a finger lather about a week agoa would this have something to do with it?

brndfrb said:
I just introduced a finger lather about a week agoa would this have something to do with it?
Depends on how close they are together but more likely the toadstool is just gone into a dormant stage in order to shed impurities from it's outer skin. It can be brought about by changes in the aquarium or irritations from coral warfare and other pests. Commonly known as sloughing, they will do this from time to time and should not be a concern. As long as there is no necrosis or dramatic color change other than the normal brownish/green film that is normally shed at the end...

If the two corals are within a few inches of each other, space them out a bit more. Soft corals in particular can be quite noxious when "crowded".

Cheers
Steve

yes they are only about 3 inches from each other. I will spred them out and see what that does. Hopefully it is ok

i agree and recommend spreading them out. Sometimes the corals dont even need to touch but will "sense" a competing coral near it by chemical means.

Was looking a little better but now his base or stalk is starting to shrivvel a little. I moved the finger and ther is nothin around him. What do i need to do? Just wit and hope for the best?????

The toadstool will stay dormant for a little while. After a few days it should start to perk up a bit. You may also notice it start to shed a filmy substance which you may need to blow off with a turkey baster or similar. Just be sure there is good water flow and if you do not already, use a high quality carbon for a few days...

Cheers
Steve

I put some carbon in the last night and blew off the film on him and half of it is open now. So i think he is gonna be ok. I amo so happy b/c that is the first coral i got and he has grown probably three times his size since i got him

Thanks for the advice

Back
Top Bottom