Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-15-2012, 11:52 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Toadstool leather question

My leather keeps shedding and then will open up and put all it's polyps out about a quarter inch and then two days later it will get shinny and shed again for days. Been Doing this since I got hime three weeks ago. Has probably shed four or five times. Seems like a lot. I know they do it to grow but seems much. Water is perfect everything is zero and salinity is 1.025-1.026 done with refractometer. Any thoughts. Here it is now.

Attachment 112669

Old 08-15-2012, 12:30 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thats awesome! I wish mine would shed every day! Haha that means its growing.

Old 08-15-2012, 12:38 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu-Nu the eel
Thats awesome! I wish mine would shed every day! Haha that means its growing.
I've just never seen it fully extended like I have seen them online which is why I got it. O well time will tell it does look bigger. Just though it was doing it an awful lot
Old 09-25-2012, 11:21 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Is he still shedding or has he settled down a bit?
Old 09-25-2012, 11:24 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorallineAlgae
Is he still shedding or has he settled down a bit?
If you are talking about mine. He has settled down and looks better than ever and grew a lot. Noticed a difference when I switched to reef crystals instead of the regular salt mix.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2707698307.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	253.7 KB
ID:	120625

As you can see my citron clown goby loves it
Old 09-25-2012, 05:40 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22engine

If you are talking about mine. He has settled down and looks better than ever and grew a lot. Noticed a difference when I switched to reef crystals instead of the regular salt mix.
Switching salt helped that much for a leather. Hum.. I wonder what reef crystals has more of to make such a noticeable difference. Happy to see it did the trick. I guess you truly do get what you pay for, even with salt. I did grow many of these with normal IO in the past but I supplemented. Maybe it's easier and probably safer just to use a premium mix.

Quote:
As you can see my citron clown goby loves it
Awesome awesome awesome! Hosting is one of the reasons I'll never have a reef that doesn't have toadstools. I always recommend them over anemones as hosts. Don't know why fish seem to love em but the coral seems to benefit from it as much as the fish does. Helps them shed that wax better than current in my experience. Awesome!!!
Old 09-25-2012, 10:28 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorallineAlgae

Switching salt helped that much for a leather. Hum.. I wonder what reef crystals has more of to make such a noticeable difference. Happy to see it did the trick. I guess you truly do get what you pay for, even with salt. I did grow many of these with normal IO in the past but I supplemented. Maybe it's easier and probably safer just to use a premium mix.

Awesome awesome awesome! Hosting is one of the reasons I'll never have a reef that doesn't have toadstools. I always recommend them over anemones as hosts. Don't know why fish seem to love em but the coral seems to benefit from it as much as the fish does. Helps them shed that wax better than current in my experience. Awesome!!!
The difference I notice is my calcium is a lot better now. Was running low before I switched to reef crystals.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:31 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Like the 22Engine I use crystals also BUT... I still had low calcium so I started to dose B-ionic 2 part. But my 29cube is packed to the gills with corals.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:36 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convict2161
Like the 22Engine I use crystals also BUT... I still had low calcium so I started to dose B-ionic 2 part. But my 29cube is packed to the gills with corals.
I'm not there yet. Mine was around 480 after the switch. My corals seem happier as well. My toadstool has never looked so good. The rest are open more
Old 09-25-2012, 10:40 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

I'm not there yet. Mine was around 480 after the switch. My corals seem happier as well. My toadstool has never looked so good. The rest are open more
Yeah there sucking up the calcium your gonna see nice growth!

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eat, leather, toad, tool

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com