Toadstool leather question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

22engine

Aquarium Advice Addict
My leather keeps shedding and then will open up and put all it's polyps out about a quarter inch and then two days later it will get shinny and shed again for days. Been Doing this since I got hime three weeks ago. Has probably shed four or five times. Seems like a lot. I know they do it to grow but seems much. Water is perfect everything is zero and salinity is 1.025-1.026 done with refractometer. Any thoughts. Here it is now.

View attachment 112669

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Thats awesome! I wish mine would shed every day! Haha that means its growing.

I've just never seen it fully extended like I have seen them online which is why I got it. O well time will tell it does look bigger. Just though it was doing it an awful lot

CorallineAlgae said:
Is he still shedding or has he settled down a bit?

If you are talking about mine. He has settled down and looks better than ever and grew a lot. Noticed a difference when I switched to reef crystals instead of the regular salt mix.

image-2707698307.jpg

As you can see my citron clown goby loves it

22engine said:
If you are talking about mine. He has settled down and looks better than ever and grew a lot. Noticed a difference when I switched to reef crystals instead of the regular salt mix.

Switching salt helped that much for a leather. Hum.. I wonder what reef crystals has more of to make such a noticeable difference. Happy to see it did the trick. I guess you truly do get what you pay for, even with salt. I did grow many of these with normal IO in the past but I supplemented. Maybe it's easier and probably safer just to use a premium mix.

22engine said:

Awesome awesome awesome! Hosting is one of the reasons I'll never have a reef that doesn't have toadstools. I always recommend them over anemones as hosts. Don't know why fish seem to love em but the coral seems to benefit from it as much as the fish does. Helps them shed that wax better than current in my experience. Awesome!!!

CorallineAlgae said:
Switching salt helped that much for a leather. Hum.. I wonder what reef crystals has more of to make such a noticeable difference. Happy to see it did the trick. I guess you truly do get what you pay for, even with salt. I did grow many of these with normal IO in the past but I supplemented. Maybe it's easier and probably safer just to use a premium mix.

Awesome awesome awesome! Hosting is one of the reasons I'll never have a reef that doesn't have toadstools. I always recommend them over anemones as hosts. Don't know why fish seem to love em but the coral seems to benefit from it as much as the fish does. Helps them shed that wax better than current in my experience. Awesome!!!

The difference I notice is my calcium is a lot better now. Was running low before I switched to reef crystals.

Like the 22Engine I use crystals also BUT... I still had low calcium so I started to dose B-ionic 2 part. But my 29cube is packed to the gills with corals.

Convict2161 said:
Like the 22Engine I use crystals also BUT... I still had low calcium so I started to dose B-ionic 2 part. But my 29cube is packed to the gills with corals.

I'm not there yet. Mine was around 480 after the switch. My corals seem happier as well. My toadstool has never looked so good. The rest are open more

22engine said:
I'm not there yet. Mine was around 480 after the switch. My corals seem happier as well. My toadstool has never looked so good. The rest are open more

Yeah there sucking up the calcium your gonna see nice growth!

22engine said:

OMG!!! I LOVE that pic!!! That toadstool is gorgeous too!! :)

Beengirl said:
OMG!!! I LOVE that pic!!! That toadstool is gorgeous too!! :)

Thanks. He is looking great. The goby is cool to watch just perch and watch over the tank

had mine about a week and its looking great was all shriveled when I added it was just a big blob of flesh
this is a before pict
img_2132785_0_4a25d624595d609518971170bf54df14.jpg

and a after

img_2132785_1_8358f36999e8d78055cf5d12dc2d2474.jpg

seems to be happy
it attached itself in about a day(y)
defiantly a fun coral to watch been trying to do a time lapse video but still learning lol
it goes nuts if i drop a piece of shrimp on it

Back
Top Bottom