Toadstool! Please help, first time Coral guy here!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

baron1282

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok,

Temp 78 to 80 degrees
Ammonia 0
Nitrates 0
Nitrites 0
PH 8.5ish range!

Lighting

Odyssea 60in 4 lamp T5 system. Two 10,000K white and two Actinic Blue lights.

Everything is checking out in my tank as fine!

I got my Toadstool a few days ago and dripped acclimated. It was all white and all the little tentacles where out and flowing in the current. It was like that for a day and than it got knocked down. It was still out and flowing but I moved it back. It has now turned greenish and no tentacles. :-(

My polyps look great still! They even dropped from their original place and they still are opening and closing at night. I had to move them in-between some rocks to get them stable. Today I went out and got some coal putty and I placed the Toadstool in its permanent location! I am hoping now that it's out from in-between the rocks it will do better now.

ANY help would be appreciated! I know they can close up for weeks when stressed, but I didn't expect it to turn greenish. I am hoping that this coal works out because I would like to put some more polyps (red) and a Frog Spawn. I do have a 48in two lamp light system, and I was thinking of putting two 10,000k white bulbs in to add some lighting! What do you guys think???

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1410722852.028361.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1410722852.028361.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 121
  • ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1410722819.302568.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1410722819.302568.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_0697.jpg
    IMG_0697.jpg
    224.7 KB · Views: 157
Are u using RODI water? Phosphates? How old is the tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

What's your alk? How long has it been since it was knocked over? It looks ok just no Polyp extension. I'd just give it a couple days, they're pretty resilient

I make my own RO/DI water! My TDS is 0 right now. My tank is 5 months old, but all of the rock and sand has been in a tank for close to two years. I started out with 55 pounds of live rock and 60 pounds of live sand in a 29 gallon, moved it to a 55 and added more rock and sand. ALL of my fish besides a few deaths for jumping out has been in my tank for at least a year!

But my 120 gallon tank that the coral is in, is 5 months old.

I guess I am going to need to buy another kit to test for Alk and Phosphates. I do not have any type of test for that.

It was knocked over two nights ago, and I put it in between a rock that kind of was touching it for the two days. I just moved it again to put it above the rock more so it was free standing and not touching anything! So I am hoping that helps!!

Yeah I'd invest in a good alk kit like salifert or Red Sea. But just leave it be I'm sure it will be alright :)

Thanks! It's just the green that freaked me out! :p It was a nice white color, than out of nowhere turning green.

I was going to get a Frog Spawn, but the guy said I should start with polyps and a toadstool to see if my tank is even ready for coals. Give it a two months after and see if the polyps grow and if the toadstool is fine, than get the Frog Spawn. I PRAY my Clown will find something he likes to host! :p

Frogspawn is about to shoot up in price or become very sparse if recent legislation passes. Not saying to go out and get it since I agree with that guy about testing with the softies. But just letting ya know :)

They are about to go on the endangered species list.

Figures! Are they really that endangered?

From what I was reading, their really not and its just some government officials trying to do a blanket policy. That was all back in 2012. No recent news about it. Plus only one type of frogspawn is on the endangered list, not the one I want.

Last edited:
Frogspawn is about to shoot up in price or become very sparse if recent legislation passes. Not saying to go out and get it since I agree with that guy about testing with the softies. But just letting ya know :)

They definitely shot up in price. Just came back from my lfs and a normal frag that usually cost about $20 was price at $65!

From what I have read is that toadstools usually shed a layer of mucus from there crown and it may take a couple of days for them to show polyp extension afterwards. IMO, just wait it out and keep up with your normal routine for water changes.

Also moderate flow and low lighting so try put them in the bottom and work your way up if they are not responding.

Well, this is my Toadstool now! So I guess things are good! :p

Attachments

• IMG_0712.jpg
    IMG_0712.jpg
    256.1 KB · Views: 93
Back
Top Bottom