Torch coral heads retracted?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dulcisveteranus

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I got a green torch almost two weeks ago. It was doing fine, but for the past two days 2 out of 7 heads are retracted. I think when I was moving some rocks around the sand irritated it and that also made my clove polyps retract but they extended after a couple of minutes. The 2 heads have been retracted for two days now and I'm starting to get worried. Is it sick? 2 days ago I added a large rock with GSP thats still retracted. I assume its acclimating itself. I also added a bangaii cardinal. I have a clownfish but she never touches the torch coral. What is going on with these heads?

Attachments

• IMG_20160809_134551.jpg
    IMG_20160809_134551.jpg
    217.7 KB · Views: 233
LPS have different requirements to softies.

What are you parameters for

Nitrate
Phosphate
Alk
Mag
Cal
SG
Temp

What's the flow like near them

What lighting do you have

I can't believe I forgot to post my parameters.

Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 5-10
pH - 8-8.4
Alk - 9 dkH
Cal - 450
Mag - 1300-1500
PO4 - 0
SG - 1.023
Temp - 78-80F throughout the day
I have T5s and they came from a tank with LEDs so I have them at the bottom.
The flow is like a gentle sway from various directions.

I would bring SG upto 1.026 do that over a few days top off with salt water and not RO to do it that way or via water changes.

All other parameters look fine I would try get nitrates down to 5 if you can but if it stable at 10 and stays there keep it as it is.

Also if you have a lot of softies run some carbon for a while as they can release toxins that will annoy LPS and SPS.

If you got sand all over it as well with a turkey baster gently blow it off as sand will definitely annoy it.

What is the flow like in the tank? That one spot is all that is upset...is a powerhead blowing right on it? This isn't a parameter or even light issue. Even if it fell over and got put back into place could be the reason for being upset.

The sand will do it. It irritates the fleshy part of the head. It can cause brown jelly disease. If you start to see the fleshy part start to disintegrate then you`ll need to break the head off.

Back
Top Bottom