Torch coral - sick or feeding tentacle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

drdani516

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I have a 12 gallon nano with a torch coral, a hammer, and a zoa. The coral have all been there for a little over a year. I think we recently (in the last few weeks), lost our blenny, haven't seen him in a few weeks, and we had an algae spike. Our CUC also died a while back and we just got around to replacing them. A few days ago we added six trochus snails and an emerald crab. The inverts seem to be doing well and are chowing down. This morning one of my torch corals is closed down and has a central stalk with long white tentacles coming out of it. I have never seen it do this before, either at night or during the day. It was originally one organism that has since split and has three separate stalks. Is it a feeding tentacle? Is it just no longer happy being that close to its tankmates? Should I move it? Sorry I don't have any tank readings, I just saw this happen and it freaked me out. Thanks in advance! IMG_3468.jpg

That looks like a mushroom to me? Looks like it is expelling zooxanthellae or mesenterial filaments to defend itself

That looks like a mushroom to me? Looks like it is expelling zooxanthellae or mesenterial filaments to defend itself

The one with the tentacles coming from it is usually 2-3 times that size and looks identical to the ones behind it. That's what I'm thinking is that either it's defending itself or it's a feeding tentacle. I've just never seen it happen before. It went away after about 15 minutes.

Neither things in that picture are a torch coral.
That aside, most likely everything going on in the system is related to parameter issues in the system.
Large water changes with ro/di water will get things under control while manual removal of the algae issue.

Neither things in that picture are a torch coral.
That aside, most likely everything going on in the system is related to parameter issues in the system.
Large water changes with ro/di water will get things under control while manual removal of the algae issue.

What kind of coral do you think it is?

Back
Top Bottom