Torn Fins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shelby1712

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have 2 Perc. Clowns and both of them are missing chunks out of their fins. This just started happening this week. I have had them for 4 or 5 years now with no problems. I don't think that any other fish are picking on them but it always seems to happen at night and when i turn the light on they look worse then before. The only thing that seems to be wrong is the nitrates are high but i didn't think they could do this type of damage like ammonia or nitrites could.

Also in my 75 gal. fish only tank i have:
Wrasse
Coral Beauty Angel
Blue Tang
Flame Hawkfish

Im sure it is nothing to worry about. Every now and again I notice the same thing with my fish. This will not effect them and within 2-4 weeks the cut in the fin will grow back. HTH

Fin rot is typically caused by declining water conditions. The good news is it is easily fixed by correcting the water parameters. Just do several PWC until things are back to normal.

My clown had finrot and what helped tremendously was drops of Vita-Chem. That's what the LFS recomended and it actually worked great. In less than a week, his fins were back to normal. Now I use it as a regular supplement and it never happened again.

My clown had finrot and what helped tremendously was drops of Vita-Chem.
(y)
Dietary suppliments are a must for maximum health of the fish. Selcon is another good one. I use both.

Back
Top Bottom