Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-25-2004, 06:02 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Total Tank Wipeout

I just experienced a T/T/W. After removal of fish, do I treat water and for how long. No copper I have L/R and L/S. Wipeout was caused from a fish I bought from PetCo.(I know) never again. It had Marine Velvet. I'm new at this and by the time I realized what it was, it was to late. Everyone PLEASE be careful and stay with a shop you trust. T/I/A Vince

Old 07-25-2004, 06:47 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

dang, sorry to hear that sfgiants 8O I take it you skipped the QT step ?

Old 07-26-2004, 02:46 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'm so sorry to hear about your tank. I'm way too new to have any advice, but take some comfort, if you can, in knowing that your experience will help others--like when I'm staring at empty display tank and one little fish in the QT tank and wishing it could all go faster. I'll remember what you went through and learn from it!
Euroreef ES5-3
2x Maxijet powerheads
Mag drive 9 return
Coralife 4x65 Lunar Aqualight
120 lbs rock from liverocks.com
1 peppermint shrimp and 1 fire shrimp (very shy)
2 black Ocellaris, Squish and Smudge
3 chromis, too identical to name as yet, in QT
10-gallon tropical
29-gallon with two goldies, Carrot and Orangehead
blorkiemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 02:47 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to luntiz
I believe you should wait about 6 weeks to be safe.

50 Gallon Acrylic Tank (36x15x20)
85lbs Fiji Live Rock
Barebottom
(4) Maxi-Jet 900 (230gph) *Awaiting 2 MJ1200s*

Lighting

(1) 250W 10,000K Aqualine Aquamedic HQI Hanging Pendant
(5) LED Moonlights

Live Stock

(2) Pink Skunk Clownfishes
Goldstripped Maroon Clownfish
Yellow Eye Kole Tang
Fuzzy Dwarf Lionfish
luntiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 08:57 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

I had a Velvet/Oodinium attack - also after I stopped using my QT tank. I too was new and excited and moved too fast. Water quality fluctuated badly and I didn't diagnose the problem early enuf. Killed 8 fish. everything from a bristletooth tang, dottybacks, clowns, a Scotts Wrasse, & a blenny. A yellow tang, watchman goby, and a b/g chromis survived.

I used a product called Revive twice within 8 days. My shrimp, starfish, and corals did fine thru it too. After 2 weeks without removing the remaining fish, I began adding fish SLOWLY and after QTing them only. Everything has been fine for the last 5 months. Maybe I was lucky, but the Revive did seem to work for me. I keep it on hand now since it's supposed to used right away.

Good luck. I learned valuable lessons thru the pain. Sounds like you have too.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 09:52 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sorry to hear about all your losses

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsdad
I learned valuable lessons thru the pain. Sounds like you have too.
It hurts but it's usually the only real way to learn - and make it stick.

Hopefully the lesson learned here is not about the store but about QT'ing all fish.

Click HERE to vote for Aquarium Advice!
Atari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 10:25 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Prophylactic treatment with melafix and pimafix both for the fish in quarantine and the display tank once the new fish is added seem to help stop those breakouts. Maybe it's just the quarantine but it never hurts to be safe. Also, if you don't already have a cleaner shrimp, the lysimata variety, get one, or more. They are worth their weight in platinum. They don't just pick off parasites they physically clean anything foreign including fungus off the fish. And it's really cool to watch them grooming everyone.
Old 07-30-2004, 07:47 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

sorry to hear it

I'm a newbie and also had a breakout of marine velvet. I was able to stock my tank with 6 green chromis, two false perculas, a blue hippo, a bicolor angel, over a 7 month period without a hitch. Then along came the disease bearing royal gramma...probably the last fish I would have put in that tank. I am left with the two clownfish and the bicolor...so far so good back in the display tank after a 6 week absence.

After dropping all that money on my setup I was trying to cut corners running without the QT. Let this be a lesson to all newbies...the QT can be cheap...much cheaper than replacing all your fish. Never again will a fish enter that tank without quarantine.
Old 08-09-2004, 11:32 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Deja vu! Same thing with green chromis from Petco also. Never again from there. lost several hundreds of dollars in fish because of 12 dollars worth of crap fish. I used Kick-ich because it's good with coral and inverts. Takes two weeks but I went ahead and waited a couple extra just in case. Went to new Petco here in Waco when it opened, very bad ich in all their tanks. New store, new tanks, no time to cycle apparently. What a shame. What a waste.
http://www.aquarank.com/in.php?id=fishfree
electrikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 10:34 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to Nitrate
Quote:
Went to new Petco here in Waco when it opened, very bad ich in all their tanks
I went to the new Petco in Waco right after it opened, lots of floaters and ich spots when I was in there. I buy all my fish from Bridgemans, havent had any real trouble in 3 years.

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com