Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-14-2005, 02:05 PM   #11
steve-s

Re: Total tank wipeout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricks
The last one to go was the harlequin, he appeared fine, but began developing a mucous that covered his entire body and then like all the others he died.
Was this symptom indicative of all the fish or just the Harlequin? Other than the gramma, was anything at all added in the last little while. Rock, corals, materials transfered from another tank?

Cheers
Steve
Old 05-14-2005, 02:43 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Ok heres the parameters ph-8.2 nitrite-0 ammonia-.25 nitrate-10(I guess my tank is going to cycle then) calcium-600 and salinity-1.020 as said before I changed out almost all the substrate leaving just a little to cycle the tank again. I do about a 20% water change monthly, and the temp right now is 82, but that's higher than I normally keep it which is at 76-78. I have no heater in my tank, I live in texas, and it doesn't ever get real cold here, I had one malfunction on me nearly cost me everthing, so I do without. My sandbed is between 3-4 inches. I know you guys don't like uv's but I have had nothing but great experiences with mine. I figured I would probably have to leave the tank empty but I have one question, do absolutely all the fish have to be gone cause it's quite difficult to catch my six line wrasse? And I know this is because of water quality, I just need to know what is the best way to fix it. I am going to leave my fish in qt (if I can catch them) any other suggestions?

Old 05-14-2005, 02:45 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Newbie

No nothing else was added, and yes the harlequin was the only one covered in mucous, others had ich (like the tangs) and others had no signs or symptoms (like the gramma) they just died.
Old 05-14-2005, 03:14 PM   #14
steve-s

The substrate change didn't do your remaining fish any good to be sure but considering the information you provided, I think it's a combination of events.

UV's cannot actually rid a tank of C. irritans or many other common parasites. Only offer a measure of control dependant on the actual set up of the unit and regular maintenance. In this case, I would actually suggest the UV was merely keeping a balance between the parasite problem and the fish. The UV doesn't actually break the life cycle, merely kills off some of the parsites during the free swimming stage. It only takes one to keep the life cycle going. Depending on the affliction, each parasite can release 250+ new parasites after it's reproductive stage. Kinda like playing roulette if you ask me.

The best course of action will always be removing the fish from the affected system and treating accordingly. Only after a proper fallow period can you be permanently rid of future infestations providing proper quarantine is adhered to with all future additions. The common belief that parasites of this nature are "always present" is a complete myth perpetuated by hobbyests. It is more than possible and quite easy to maintain a parasite free tank given the right measures are taken with each new addition.

As far as your tank is concerned I can only guess at what the problem was but it sounds like you where battling two or more. C. irritans is one possibility but I also suspect Uronema.

Cheers
Steve
Old 05-14-2005, 05:02 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via MSN to Pghjeff71 Send a message via Yahoo to Pghjeff71
Thanks Lando! As you might already know I once believed the UV sterlizer was the silver bullet to keeping parasites in check.

Steve-s, I'm not sure what Uronema is. This is a total new one to me!

I do think UV sterlizers have a place in aquariums, I'm just not sure where! Algae control perhaps, but I'm not convinced it does anything for C. irritans.
Old 05-14-2005, 05:11 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Newbie

How long should you qt new fish? And I'm assuming that I should keep my tank empty for 6 weeks correct?
Old 05-14-2005, 05:45 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to badfish
thats correct, people say 4-6 weeks fishless, and i beleive the quaranting length for a new fish is 3-4 weeks, assuming within that 3-4 weeks they are totally fine. If Qt more then one fish at a time, all must show no signs of bad health for the 3-4 weeks.

Filtration: 50lbs LR.com, 60lbs sand

Swimmers: 2 O. Clowns, Yellow Watchman, Firefish, Yellow Tang, Dottyback.

Clean-Up: Several snail & hermits, Skunk Cleaner, 2 Peps.

Corals: 2 zoo colonies, yellow polyps, star polyps
badfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 02:49 PM   #18
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pghjeff71
Steve-s, I'm not sure what Uronema is. This is a total new one to me!
<<Uronema Marina>>

Quote:
I do think UV sterlizers have a place in aquariums, I'm just not sure where! Algae control perhaps, but I'm not convinced it does anything for C. irritans.

Cheers
Steve

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com