Total tank wipeout

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ricks

Aquarium Advice Newbie

I have a 250 gal saltwater setup with 150 lbs of live rock, 160 lbs of reef sand, 250 gal sump, 36 w jebo uv sterilizer, and now almost no fish (2 damsels and a six line wrasse) :( So...this is the story, about a month ago the uv sterilizer I had, developed a kinked hose and my fish at the time(hippo,sailfin,bristle tooth tangs,red lip blenny, royal gramma, formosa wrasse, and a harlequin tusk) began developing ich. When we diagnosed the problem with the uv sterilizer, I ordered another which promptly broke. In the process of getting another one almost all of my fish died. I have had this tank setup for 4 yrs, everything even survived a move and still thrived. With the wipeout of my tank I took the opportunity to replace the crushed coral with reef sand (I left some crushed coral in the tank to allow it to cycle although it may not need to). Now, no matter what fish I put in there, it promptly dies. I got a tenneti tang (I think that's how you spell it) after the crash, but before dying he developed spots all over his body, like someone beat him up. The last one to go was the harlequin, he appeared fine, but began developing a mucous that covered his entire body and then like all the others he died. This is so frustrating I haven't had any problems until this, and now I can't get the tank up and functioning again. Any sugestions as to what I need to get or what I'm doing wrong?

are you quaranting your fish, i havent been, but i will in the future. I heard once ich is in the tank it takes 6 weeks to burn out without any fish in your tank. Sorry to here for your losses. Do you know how the ich got in your tank, probably the last fish you added before you it started developing.

Well the thing is, I hadn't added any fish before the wipeout. It had been about 6 months since I added the gramma. I'm pretty sure that the failure of the uv sterilizer is what did it, I just don't understand why we have had so many problems since we replaced it. Is it possible for the bacteria and everything to build up after the uv sterilizer broke? Another thing is I have a Jebo 36 w sterilizer, I have heard that certain brands are better, could this be part of my problem?

I really dont have any experience with UV Sterilizers, i am also pretty new to saltwater, only for a couple of months. From what i heard, people say that just because you have a UV Sterilizer does not mean you wont get ich. I personallly dont know what causes ich either. Do you have a protein skimmer, and what kind of filtration do you have. People say that you should have at least 1-2 lbs per gallon of Liverock. How many powerheads do you have, and what are your water parameters?

Thanks
My tank is 6'long 2.5' deep and 2' tall, I have a protein skimmer but I have not had it running, before this I haven't had any problems. I have 4 powerheads, 2 are 1200 l/hr and I don't know what the other 2 are. My filtraion is a 250 gal wet/dry with prefilter (bioballs). I'm not sure if this is ich, it is probably something else, I don't see the tale tale white dots on the fish that died after the new uv sterilizer went in.

All the tests on the water have come back fine except the ammonia but I suspect that is because all of the fish that have been dying

sounds like water quality to me (
personally i dont use uv sterilizers...
when i got ick in my tank..i used something called exodin...which can be put directly into the tank even reefs...
i had excellent results with this stuff....went in 2 days and never come back yet !
i aint a big fan of wet/dry systems myself...or bioballs
i use fulval 404`s.....
i read somewhere that ick is in EVERY tank...just lookin for an excuse to come out !
water quality is the key...
do some tests and post them
SG...nitrate and nitrite...amm....ph and wot temp is water kept at...
is it possible u have a defective heater ? check powerheads....
anything is possible...
try runnin uv free ?
how deep is your sandbed ?
if you have a 6 inch SB you shouldn`t really use bioballs IMO
give us some figures to work on...its the only way to get the best help in ere !
in the meantime do not put fish in there.
how many times do u change water...and how much ?
quote ....
The last one to go was the harlequin, he appeared fine, but began developing a mucous that covered his entire body and then like all the others he died

this is definately down to water quality !

Hi, the UV sterlizer will not be useful for this problem (from my own experience too). The sterilizer only kills free floating parasites and only if they are exposed to the light for a long period of time. Your best bet is to allow the tank to run without any fish (invertebrates are fine to leave in) for a minimum of 6 weeks to allow the parasite to complete the cycle and die off.

As others have stated, a Quarantine Tank is your best friend. I never used one until recently and I will never add fish to my main tank without QT them first due to my experience with Ich.

Finally, and others may agree/disagree, I've been using a UV sterlizer for 5+ years and I don't think it's made any difference in my water quality. I plan next month on removing the UV sterilizer to confirm my hypothesis. I think it can SLOW the progression of disease/algae blooms but will never STOP it.

- Jeff

Welcome to AquariumAdivce.com :smilecolros: :smilecolros: :smilecolros:
the UV sterlizer will not be useful for this problem (from my own experience too). The sterilizer only kills free floating parasites and only if they are exposed to the light for a long period of time. Your best bet is to allow the tank to run without any fish (invertebrates are fine to leave in) for a minimum of 6 weeks to allow the parasite to complete the cycle and die off.
He shoots, he scores! this is absolutley your best course of action. Let the tank remain fallow for 6-8 weeks. You can bump up the temp a bit (to 81-82) to help speed up the life cycle of the parasite, but there is really no need if you are running a fallow tank. It can actually be stressful on the inverts in there. Set up a QT tank now (with all new stuff, nothing taken from the main) and start your QT process with a couple of new fish. Once the fallow period is done your new fish will have been properly QT and ready to go.
Sorry to hear about your troubles.

Ricks said:
The last one to go was the harlequin, he appeared fine, but began developing a mucous that covered his entire body and then like all the others he died.
Was this symptom indicative of all the fish or just the Harlequin? Other than the gramma, was anything at all added in the last little while. Rock, corals, materials transfered from another tank?

Cheers
Steve

Ok heres the parameters ph-8.2 nitrite-0 ammonia-.25 nitrate-10(I guess my tank is going to cycle then) calcium-600 and salinity-1.020 as said before I changed out almost all the substrate leaving just a little to cycle the tank again. I do about a 20% water change monthly, and the temp right now is 82, but that's higher than I normally keep it which is at 76-78. I have no heater in my tank, I live in texas, and it doesn't ever get real cold here, I had one malfunction on me nearly cost me everthing, so I do without. My sandbed is between 3-4 inches. I know you guys don't like uv's but I have had nothing but great experiences with mine. I figured I would probably have to leave the tank empty but I have one question, do absolutely all the fish have to be gone cause it's quite difficult to catch my six line wrasse? And I know this is because of water quality, I just need to know what is the best way to fix it. I am going to leave my fish in qt (if I can catch them) any other suggestions?

No nothing else was added, and yes the harlequin was the only one covered in mucous, others had ich (like the tangs) and others had no signs or symptoms (like the gramma) they just died.

The substrate change didn't do your remaining fish any good to be sure but considering the information you provided, I think it's a combination of events.

UV's cannot actually rid a tank of C. irritans or many other common parasites. Only offer a measure of control dependant on the actual set up of the unit and regular maintenance. In this case, I would actually suggest the UV was merely keeping a balance between the parasite problem and the fish. The UV doesn't actually break the life cycle, merely kills off some of the parsites during the free swimming stage. It only takes one to keep the life cycle going. Depending on the affliction, each parasite can release 250+ new parasites after it's reproductive stage. Kinda like playing roulette if you ask me.

The best course of action will always be removing the fish from the affected system and treating accordingly. Only after a proper fallow period can you be permanently rid of future infestations providing proper quarantine is adhered to with all future additions. The common belief that parasites of this nature are "always present" is a complete myth perpetuated by hobbyests. It is more than possible and quite easy to maintain a parasite free tank given the right measures are taken with each new addition.

As far as your tank is concerned I can only guess at what the problem was but it sounds like you where battling two or more. C. irritans is one possibility but I also suspect Uronema.

Cheers
Steve

Thanks Lando! As you might already know I once believed the UV sterlizer was the silver bullet to keeping parasites in check.

Steve-s, I'm not sure what Uronema is. This is a total new one to me!

I do think UV sterlizers have a place in aquariums, I'm just not sure where! Algae control perhaps, but I'm not convinced it does anything for C. irritans.

How long should you qt new fish? And I'm assuming that I should keep my tank empty for 6 weeks correct?

thats correct, people say 4-6 weeks fishless, and i beleive the quaranting length for a new fish is 3-4 weeks, assuming within that 3-4 weeks they are totally fine. If Qt more then one fish at a time, all must show no signs of bad health for the 3-4 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom