trachyphyllia not opening, help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

phish7740

Aquarium Advice Activist
so this coral isnt opening, been like that for about 2 weeks.

yes levels are all fine...reg wc
everything else is fine

the only thing i can guess is my purple tang was nipping at it..so i moved it to a location that the purple tang cant get to because of his size, but it still doesnt open.

the only other thing i can think of is that i didnt feed it enough...i gave it some frozen shrimp during feeding but never gave it silversides or squid.

ohh yea i also did flatworm exit, as instructed...could that have done something?

any help would be greatly appreceated, thanks

im going to do a water change and a carbon change

have you done water tests? After the exit kills the worms, unless youhave gotten them ALL, the dead worms will cause substantial water quality deterioration. I have also heard some corals do not react well to the use of it.

More than likely Lisa is right but I had one a long time ago that I could not figure why it would not open and then one night I stayed up and saw my angel nipping at it. Just make sure nothing is nipping

still not opening...i have seen my purple tang nip at it but not reciently....i moved it to another location hoping the tang cant get to it now. but i dont understand, all my levels are fine, temp is fine, salt is fine, new carbon, regular wc, i add DT, puple up, calcium (when needed), essential elements.

what should i do?????

We are running out of options here. The only other thing I can think of is the tang. I know when my angel was nipping it would not open either. The tang might still be able to get to him. Maybe someone else can trouble shoot here. Also can you get a pic of the brain and its surroundings.

well i still saw the purple tang near it so my attempt at keeping it seperated failed

i did place a tuperware upside down, over it so it CAN NOT get nipped.

fingers crossed

Have you tried to leave some seaweed selects out for him. maybe he will forage on that and leave the brain alone.

update:

so i have had a tuperware (with holes) over him for about 3 days and he opened up about half way. no tenticals out though...

Well I have never seen the tentacles on my brains even though I know they are probably out at night. Unless you are going to keep the cover over him for the rest of his life you will soon have to make a choice on the brain or the tang. Sorry

thats what i wasnt hoping for....thats a tough decision since they are each my favorites.

mine used to open and get really big and puffy every day, the tenticals were about 1/4" long and when food landed on them they would close around it and ingest it.

wish i had a pic.

Back
Top Bottom