Transfering fish to treat entire tank for ich?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ScotJ

Aquarium Advice Activist
Trying to figure out how to treat my entire tank for ich. I had 2 hippos that had it, but I transfered them out and they seem to be good.

But now alot of other fish are getting sick - 3 damsels have died, and I want to transfer the entire tank out. I have about 20~ fish, in a 150g tank.

Could I get some big bins from wal-mart and use those? Put the fish into hypo-sal for 15 days or so?

Will the ich not stay in my tank?

FYI - I have corals, and 150lbs of LR as well.

Moving this to the sick fish forum. You`ll need to QT your fish and leave the main tank fishless for 7-8 weeks. In the meantime treat you fish with Hyposalinity.

How do I go about killing the remaining infection in the main tank?

Also - could I just move my LR and corals out of the main tank?

If you are talking ich then it`s a parasite that must have a fish to host to keep living. if you go fishless in your tank for 7-8 weeks then it will break the life cycle of the fish and the parasite will die off.

Way too many fish unless you buy a couple of 75's for QT. I had 10 fish in my 125 when I had the problem. I bought a 30g to house the fish and treat them with hypo while leaving the main tank fallow.
Hypo in some 20 gallon BRUTE tubs is possbile. You'll need several of them with a heater (WalMart has some ~$6 heaters for 2-15gal), and lots of sw to do 2-3x daily PWCs in each tub. You should be able to get a HOB filter system for each of the tubs. They will need a week or two to build up some bacteria before you can reduce the number of daily PWC's.

What % water changes through out the day? 15-20%?

Without the proper bacteria in the tank or tubs you`ll need to do do about 1/3 to 1/2 to keep ammonia and nitrites in check.

should I be transfering over my eel, sea urchin, star fish and sea cucumber as well? Or can they contract ich?

The eel should go I guess but I`m concerned about his escape artist tactics. If it`s a tub or unsealed tank he will jump. The others can stay in the DT.

The water changes should be a combined 35% - 50% per day. So if you are doing 2x/day then do 20-25 percent each time. That's what I did till I had a working biofilter.

Back
Top Bottom