Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-06-2004, 07:24 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
He is treating with "Ick Guard"...
Dissapointing, after all that useful advice. This is risky to put it mildly. It can be very detrimental to the fish long-term and worse yet it probably won't work. If a med could actually cure ICH without affecting the balance of an established system we would have been quick to tell you about it.

Quote:
He said after a month or two we will set up the tank from the beginning with new everything.
That will not cure the ICH either, the only thing that will do is clean up the mess from the ICK Guard. The fish could still be hosts and carry it right back to the clean system.

Sorry if this sounds harsh, just trying to help you avoid destroying your system with nasty meds, plus all the work and headache that goes along with that plus a possible retreatment

Old 10-06-2004, 10:14 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Second srgetz's remarks.
You want to see how well "meds" like this works? Spend some time reading through some past posts in this category. Many failures documented. The right way is more work, but very effective.
Good luck. :|

Old 10-06-2004, 11:11 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Spend some time reading through some past posts in this category
Good point. Exactly what I did when I had to treat Lucky (the hippo) for ich.
Old 10-09-2004, 03:02 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

The "Ick Guard" seems to be working. The fish are starting to swim around again. And the "white spots" seem to be getting fewer and fewer. How long should I continue to treat? It has been since Tuesday Oct 5. The bottle does not say how long to continue treating. It just tells how much of the product to use with each dose. Maybe since we removed everything from the tank except for the fish and "somewhat turned the main tank into the QT tank" it just might work. I am wondering when the treatment time comes to an end.... should I give them a freshwater dip to remove any leftover medication? I plan on draining the tank completely and starting over from the beginning once the Ick is gone. Also what should I do to the rocks? They are not live rocks. Will the Ick stay on the rocks? They are pretty porous. Should I use something on them to clean them? I was thinking of Bleach and then letting the sit out in the sun. Or do they need to be washed at all? And the substrate is crushed coral. Is rinsing it out enough? It is weird to me that the smallest fish in the tank (blue damsel and green chromis) seem not to be affected at all. They must be tuff ones. I have not seen any white spots on them what so ever. And they have been active and eating the entire time.
thanks........ sharon

Tags
eat, eating, ich

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com