Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-29-2014, 10:54 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Need some quick advice. ICH

My hippo tang started to develop ich about 3 days ago. I do not have a quarantine tank and I couldn't get to a store to buy medication. Now my blonde naso tang has developed ich seriously. He is at the bottom of the tank and not eating. The hippo tang has gotten worse also. My orange back fairy wrasse has also gotten it. Now that I've said the sad part, what do I do? Should I treat this tank with the medication? Should I do it in a natural way? 3 days ago I raised my temp to 82 when I saw signs on the hippo tang. Salinity is 1.024. Nitrite, nitrate, ammonia, and PH are all perfect. I did a 10% water change 3 days ago also.

Old 12-29-2014, 11:14 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
How large is this tank? A stress free environment is the best way to get rid of this. I would not treat the display. I don't care how "safe" the product says it is. Just as a stress free environment can rid you of visible ich, so can a stressful environment bring it on.

Old 12-30-2014, 12:17 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Treating Ich while upgrading tanks.

I'm upgrading from a 55 gallon to a 150 gallon. My tangs currently have Ich. I know it's probably due to the size of the current tank. Anyway, how can I safely treat the fish, live rock, and coral in the 55 while switching to the 150?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice
Old 12-30-2014, 01:31 AM   #5
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

You don't want to treat the rock or coral. The copper in the medication will kill all inverts, to include coral, and leach into the rock ensuring you can never keep them again. You need to have a bare QT tank to treat effectively with copper.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 01:32 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

So can I safely move the coral and rock to the new tank? Then treat the old tank as the qt?

Old 12-30-2014, 01:44 AM   #7
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Sure. I'd suggest ditching the sand as it will absorb the copper as well.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 02:02 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Awesome. This makes my night. Thank you.

Old 12-30-2014, 02:25 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

move everything except the fish into new tank
keep fish in bare old tank and treat the for minimum 2 weeks which will kill all the ick on the fish and all the ick on the rocks and everything else will die without the fish in the tank
Old 12-30-2014, 05:50 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

You are looking at 6-8 weeks to be sure the ich is gone. Last thing you wanna do is end qt early and introduce the fish into the new tank and bring the ich with them. The main tank should stay without any fish in my opinion for the 6-8 weeks as well. If you move the corals and rock over there is a chance some ich could have made its way to the new tank. probable? maybe. possible? I think yes.
Grats on the new tank btw! Glad to see someone with tangs in a smaller tank actually went ahead and upgraded so they could keep em. Good job.

What kind of tangs and other fish are you going to be qt'ing and treating?

Tags
advice, eat, eating, ich, ick, tan, tank, tanks, upgrading, upgrading tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com