Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-26-2004, 02:53 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Treating Tank with cupramine

Hi all,

I have a 29 gal that I set up about 3 month ago with a mixture of crushed coral and sand. I cycled some LR in the tank first and after that was done, I used it as a QT tank for some green chromis. I have never got around to adding the chromis to my 75 gal mostly due to there small size and that I am having trouble removing the 2 yellow tail damsels in the 75 gal.

The 29 gal has my wet/dry with previously seeded bioballs and the CC was from my 7+ yr old tank.

My question comes into the effects of adding the cupramine to this system. I plan on using this tank as a FO tank and it has fake corals. I think the some stuff came off the LR when I cured it because I have holes and tunnels in the sand that can be seen. It is only about 1.5" deep though.

I posted in the sick forum about the green mandarin and yellow tang that I bought over the weekend. The mandarin is the one that is showing signs of ick.

Thanks

Old 01-26-2004, 05:38 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Sorry Ellisz, I'm not sure what the question is. Are you asking how much to add, or if you should use it, or if it will affect your LR...??

a little more direction on the question please and we'll try and help!

Old 01-26-2004, 07:35 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I guess the only question is if there any long lasting effects to adding copper? The tank will not have corals but if I ever put LR or possibly a fish that does not like copper. I had a dog puffer previously and you were not supposed to use copper.

Any ill effects on the bacteria in the wet/dry? I plan to run carbon to help remove it afterward but I have always heard copper is hard to get rid off. With a true QT, this would not be an issue. I could set up a 10 gal QT but since I only have fish in this one I thought of just adding the meds here.

Sorry for the rambling. Made more sense when I wrote it than when I read it
Old 01-27-2004, 12:33 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

They say that you can never get all the copper out of a tank. It's in the substrate, corals & even possibly the silicone sealant, at least that's what I was told. I've used many copper products in the past 25 yrs and I found myself always going back to cupramine. Found it to be the safest, yet effective copper med on the market. One thing though, you really need to get the seachem copper test kit to see how much copper is actually in the water. Copper is readily absorbed & precipatates. Most of the time, I had to actually dose 2 to 3x the amount to get to 50ppm.
I been fortunate not to need cooper treatments for the last year or so. I'm in the process of turning the tank into a FOWLR & I'll be able to tell you in a few weeks if any residue cooper actually leaches out.
Old 01-27-2004, 12:46 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to rthoman Send a message via MSN to rthoman Send a message via Yahoo to rthoman
Quote:
I'll be able to tell you in a few weeks if any residue cooper actually leaches out.
I'm curious as I have used cupramine in my tank, not a real heavy dose. I have some star polyps doing ok in the tank a month after I used it.

Tags
eat, eating, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com