Treatment for ICK in reef tank...are corals OK?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JM5

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
We have a 110 Reef with corals and anomies.
Our blue tang and unicorn fish both have ick? Our clown seems to have a few white dots today as well, do we have to treat her host anomie?
What should we do? Can we treat the entire tank safely? Or take all fish out and treat them only? What is the best treatment?
Can we get a UV filter now, and would that help clear up the problem? We know now we should have gotten one sooner :oops:
Thanks for any advice....things where going along so well! :?

The absolute best scenario would be to >>quarantine<< all the fish in the display tank. Treament of the main tank will then be unneccessary as it should be left fallow for 4 weeks to allow the parasite to die out naturally and not risk damaging the the health of the display tank. Only fish can carry/aid the parasite in it's life cycle and all other inhabitants of the diplay tank are not at risk.

Once QT'd, the fish can be treated with either copper or >>hyposalinity<<.

You can opt for a UV but be aware they are not a cure for any parasite but rather an aid in reducing the amount of parasites in the free swimming stage. If all new fish are proprly QT'd for 4 weeks prior to being introduced to the main tank, these types of problems would become not existant.

Cheers
Steve

Should we medicate in the qurintine tank? With what?

:roll: What should I look for to buy to treat the Ick in the quarantine tank? I have heard of some type of copper treatment? Fresh water dips?
I would like to go in the store with some knowledge, so I dont come out with too many products!! Which I know they would love to sell me!! :wink:

Thanks for all the great advice.

Jackie

There are only two things I would personally recommend. The hyposalinity treatment linked above which is in esscence free (after initial QT cost) and my first choice. The only thing that will survive hyposalinity is bacteria and the fish.

The second would be Seachem's Cupramine. Of all the copper treatments on the market thus far, it has showed the best results with the least stress to animals including puffers. You must also purchase the corresponding Seachem copper test to accurately monitor the copper levels.

Make sure neither of these treatments are used on the main tank. They would decimate the LR, inverts and fauna.

Cheers
Steve

Ick Treatment

Thanks.....I am off to get a QT tank and Cupramine!
Now lets hope I can catch my guys!

Back
Top Bottom