Trigger Fish Eye

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

razzledazzle80

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Does anyone know why my Trigger Fish's eye is getting bigger, its been growing out for about 12 months now.

Attachments

• trigger_fish_eye.jpg
    trigger_fish_eye.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 85
  • trigger_fish_eye.jpg
    trigger_fish_eye.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 72
  • trigger_fish_eye.jpg
    trigger_fish_eye.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 102
Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com :)

Only one eye being affected will typically (but not always) be from injury and/or lower than desirable water quality. If left too long without proper attention it can lead to a serious bacterial infection. The trigger looks like it's close to losing that eye.

Has it always protruded this far out slowly increasing or has it been increasing in severity faster in the last little while?

What other fish are in the tank, how big is the tank and what are your exact water parameters?

Cheers
Steve

Had a big problem with my tank a few month ago. Nitrate level off the scale (dodgey Test Kit) Back to normal now after losing 3 fish :cry:
Its not always protruded this far out but it is increasing in severity faster now than ever, im really worried, i dont wanna lose this fish ive had it a long time.
40 gallon tank, Nitrate less than 5ppm all other tests OK
Tomato Clown
Dog Face Puffer
Regal Tang
Long Nose Hawkfish
Blue Cheek Goby
Foxface Badgerfish
:roll:

razzledazzle80 said:
40 gallon tank, Nitrate less than 5ppm all other tests OK
While the tank specs seem fine, that kind of bioload means an excessive amount of DOC. Even though your biofiltration (and water changes) are keeping things in check, that kind of animal load is very unhealthy.

The nutrient in that kind of environemnt is a breeding ground for harmful bacteria. Any kind of casual aggression from tank mates or accidental injury can lead to infection quite rapidly. I would highly suggest an upgrade in tank size or reducing your fish load.

In regards to your triggers issue, you need to begin several large water changes every few days over the next couple of weeks. Reducing the DOC in the water column will hopefully allow the triggers own immune system to heal the eye. You will also need to ensure all foods fed are soaked in a high quality marine liquid vitamin before each feeding. Together these two should show some possitive result in a few days.

If the eye bulging does not show signs of abating in a weeks time, you will need to QT and treat with an antibiotic. Might want to get a QT set up just in case. Do not net the trigger or you stand the chance of it losing the eye completely. You need to corral the trigger into a container and transfer it safely. If a med is needed, I would suggest Maracyn II at double the dose daily for 7 full days. If it gets to that point though, post back first.

Cheers
Steve

Ive rang the LFS where i buy most of my products. I asked about getting the DOC down, and they said i need a much better skimmer (currently have a Sander)
What do you suggest? :?:

currently have a Sander
Which one do you currently have?
http://www.aqua-sander.de/produkte/aussen.en.html

asked about getting the DOC down, and they said i need a much better skimmer
What brand/models are available to you?

What do you suggest?
A better skimmer would help immensely but given your bioload, it's not a long term solution. You really do need to reduce the fish load of at least three of the larger animals. Doesn't mean less fish, just less large growing and heavy polluting species, you can replace them with choices more suited to the tank size. These three should be in nothing less than a 150+ gal if housed together. One alone should be in a 75 gal preferabley.

Dog Face Puffer
Regal Tang
Foxface Badgerfish

Until you can decide what your going to do, I would stringly urge a series of large water changes with well aged/aerated SW for the time being.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom