TRIGGER help PLEASE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

masonsmom

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just bought a humu humu today at the fish store , i have had problems with ick and my tank has been treated and i bought a damsels and kept the fish for about 3 weeks before purchsing this triiger and i took him home he was okay for a while until about an hour and a half ago lies his body under the rock and bends his body to conform to the rocks. Is he okay because that is what my niger trigger did before he died from ick... is he just stressed because of the new enviornment and is hidding or do you think he is going to die. I will take any advice
Meridith

Sound like it may be an acclimation problem. What is your proceedure?

i have had problems with ick and my tank has been treated
Also what did you mean by this? Fishless peroid, some kind of med? I take it you don't qt new arrivals.

Also humu triggers lay down to sleep. They will find a rock or ph and lay down on their sides like they are dead and sleep.

electrikat said:
Also humu triggers lay down to sleep. They will find a rock or ph and lay down on their sides like they are dead and sleep.

my niger trigger does this as well....

Thanks everybody i am really not good at this fish thing... i acclimated by adding water and soaking for a while.... I do have 2 damsles alive in the tank.... If this fish dies it will have been my 3 trigger to die... I have had 2 damsels, 1 lion, 2 triggers to die within 3 months... so if he dies i am selling my fish tank and giving up....

I think its your acclimation.
Here is a good article on proper proceedure. It's more important than most think.
http://www.saltwaterfish.com/site_11_03/acclimation.php
Make sure the PH, temp and SG match to the tank you are putting them in before placing them. Any one of these factors not matching, can send the fish into shock.
Also you should be qt'ing new arrivals for 4 weeks before placing them in your system, this is also very important.
Don't give up, stick with us, we will help you through.

dont give up man! once you like marine life, you will always like marine life!

If anything, start over! be careful not to get ick into your tank this time, My 2 tangs (purple and sailfin) are suffering from ick as we speak, but ive been caring for them and feeding them garlic shrimp (lol garlic and brine) and they are doing much better. My tang went from chickenpox like mumps ick to few spots. Plus ive added vitamin c daily as well, just nurse your fish back to health! Plus making ur fish healthy will encourage the immune system to stay strong.

I think your biggest problem is not having a qt AND having so many fish (especially ones that get LARGE) in your tank... In your profile you have a 44 gallon, that is not very big for the Humma Humma, and even worse for the Niger... take it slow... get a qt and put the new fish in there for 4 weeks... then add it. Also I would get some better choices of fish. RESEARCH!!!!! Get gobies, cardinalfish, clowns, and blennies, not these guys that will outgrow your tank in a matter of a year!

dont give up! i think patience may be your problem!! And if the health of your fish is very important to you, it will be worth the wait.

Triggers do often hide and lock themselfs in a tight area to feel safe - i think its normal. Just keep an eye on him.. if you dont think things are working out, dont hesitate to bring him back and wait a little longer for new fish. maybe there is something your doing wrong and it might just take a little more time on here to realize it! You never know! its not your fault.

How long has it been since your tank was treated? To completely get rid of ick, you need to leave the tank fallow for 4 - 6 weeks. Chances are, the ick problem may have never left.
Don't get frustrated. That is why we are all here. This is a constant learning experience for all of us. We all earn from each other. Just do some research here on tank cycling, acclimations, diseases, etc..and you should be able to succeed. This hobby takes time, and patience so if you have both, you will do fine. HTH

Mike

he is doing really good now just tying to eat all my hermit crabs
This trigger is not reef safe or invert safe. Say good bye to your hermits and any other invets you have. I am glad he is doing better. Keep in mind that a 44gal tank is a bit small for any trigger, it will quickly outgrow your tank.

Back
Top Bottom