Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-07-2013, 09:35 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Trigger seems to have ich when it came home.....

Ok, so I purchased a Pink Tail Trigger last night. When I looked at him at the store he looked very good he was eating and everything. The person at the store bagged him up and I went home. When I got home I drip acclimated the fish, and after about an hour I placed him in my Quarantine Tank and left the lights off for about another hour. When I turned the lights on, I noticed the fish was covered with white specs (I am assuming it is Ich). Has anyone else ever purchased a healthy looking fish and got it home to find it may not be?

Old 02-07-2013, 11:47 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

What you want to do is mash up 1 garlic clove to liquid (blending is prefered)

Next go to the lfs and ask for Metronidezole and focus.. it should be a powdery substance.

Add 4 of those little spoons it comes with, of focus. And 1 metronidezole to the garlic substance.. put whatever food you feed into the same container with the garlic and medicine. Mix it up. And feed once a day.. this has worked 2 times for me within 4 days..

Continue feeding for 10 days. Or until the ick goes away.

넌 사랑~your love,
- 박수닝~Park Soo Ng
S3Reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:48 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Its allright if the garlic is chunky. The fish will eat the garlic pieces.

넌 사랑~your love,
- 박수닝~Park Soo Ng
Old 02-07-2013, 01:06 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Stress can bring out Ich. Stress lowers the immune system, so its possible to look great at the store and have those spots appear later. Those white spots are only visible on the fish for a very short period if time. Even with no treatment, they will fall off. The bad thing, and where most people make a costly mistake, is that the fish suddenly looks great, but you still have live Ich in the tank in your sand and rock and it can still be in the gils and places you can not see. It will reappear in the future. Garlic helps boost immunity, so nothing wrong with that, but it IS NOT a cure.

The ONLY two proven treatments are copper or Hyposalinity in a QT. Then, while your fish are being treated in QT, you leave your DT fallow for six weeks. The DT Ich will die off, as they have no host. The QT fish will be cured and when you add them back in your DT, you have a clean, Ich-free system. Again, this is the only way to CURE your fish and rid your DT of Ich. All other store-bought things are "treatments", which either help the fish recover more quickly or boost immunity. They DO NOT cure anything.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:18 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I just looked up SeaChem Focus and that only treats fungal and bacterial infections. Ich is a parasite, so that would do nothing to help, as far as I can tell.

The garlic idea is not bad. There are liquid products available as well. Just understand that garlic does not cure , or even treat, Ich. It is purely to help with boosting the immune system.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:27 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

I wasn't really looking for information on a cure, I am aware of everything already mentioned and I already have the fish in QT being treated with copper as I do with EVERY fish I buy. I was more looking to find out how often this situation occurs as it is the first time it has happened to me. Thanks for the information though.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:57 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sounds good. Good luck with it. It stinks to get a fish and have it come down with something later, but that's where QT saves the day.
Old 02-07-2013, 02:16 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks Todd. I was just sharing my experience.. my tank has been free of pick for 9 months just from the garlic and those supplements.. but I probably got luck? Lol

넌 사랑~your love,
- 박수닝~Park Soo Ng
Old 02-07-2013, 02:32 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Garlic is not a miracle cure for ich. I would use the Hyposalinity method. It's the safest and 100% effective.
As for the Ich showing up when you got it home, it could simply have been due to the LFS keeping their salinity a lot lower than you would. Sometimes they keep the SG down around .017 or so to keep parasites subdued. As soon as they hit the higher salinity, they appear to bloom.
Old 02-07-2013, 03:51 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

+1 to Mr X

The garlic keeps their immune systems stronger, so they are better able to fight it off, but it does not mean that Ich is not in the tank. You could have it in there, add a fish with low immunity and it would pick it up and come down with symptoms. The Trigger probably had it from the LFS, but you never know.

Tags
ich, trigger

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com