This is minor bacterial infection, usually caused by excess nutrients in the water. Even though your water tests are probably normal, they cannot detect the DOC
. What can help is a bunch of water changes and cleaning. Perform 3-4 large water changes (20% +) with mixed (24hrs) and aerated sw
- do one every few days for the next few weeks, then once a week after. Clean any filters or areas that may collect waste. Run activated carbon or a polyfilter to help clean the water further. Just keep up on these water changes and he will heal on his own. It will take a few weeks, but the fins will come back like new. This is easier and safer than going the QT
route. The important thing is this addresses the root cause - high DOC
in the water which the bacteria thrives on. Meds would only be a bandaid.
Also be sure to feed some foods high in vitamins or HUFAs or just buy some Selcon vitamin additive and add to frozen / fresh food.