Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-08-2003, 07:26 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to TriggerHappy Send a message via MSN to TriggerHappy Send a message via Yahoo to TriggerHappy
well, i got some copperSafe from the LFS. As soon as I can catch the fish, I will treat them in the qt. I don't want to rush the treatment though, they still are pretty active in the main tank and are eating well.

Tank Setup
Niger Trigger
Maroon Clown
BiColor Angel
P-H 8.2 Ammonia 0 Nitrite 0 Nitrate 10-15ppm
Crushed Coral 60lbs
1 MaxiJet 1200 PH, 1 ZooMed PH, XP2 Filstar

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. They wake up in the morning and that's the best they're going to feel all day."
Dean Martin.
TriggerHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 04:14 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to TriggerHappy Send a message via MSN to TriggerHappy Send a message via Yahoo to TriggerHappy
Trigger died in qt tank. Followed all intructions, gave right amount of meds, I should have kept him in the main tank.

Tank Setup
Niger Trigger
Maroon Clown
BiColor Angel
Crushed Coral 60lbs

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. They wake up in the morning and that's the best they're going to feel all day."
Dean Martin.
Old 11-12-2003, 04:18 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to MACATUA Send a message via MSN to MACATUA Send a message via Yahoo to MACATUA
No, you did the right thing. If you can avoid it, never treat the main tank. Sorry for your loss.

Join the Alabama Regional Forum!
MACATUA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 10:38 PM   #14
steve-s

I am sorry for the loss..

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACATUA
No, you did the right thing. If you can avoid it, never treat the main tank.
I completely agree. You would not have had a different result if left in the main tank really. One thing to note though about triggers (I know this is probabley too late) is they are notorious for "playing dead" when freightened and there is an absence of places to properly hide or wedge themselves. I am not trying to insult your inteligence or make matters worse, just some additional info.

Just curious, what was the dosage used and actual water volume of the QT? How did you set up the QT?

Cheers
Steve
Old 11-13-2003, 01:29 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

i used 1 tbsp for each 4 gallons, so 2 1/2 tbsps in a 10 gal tank. Tank had 0 light, since it was under my tank with the doors shut. There are hiding places in there for them, a heater and a ph with filter. Also, now one of the two damsels in the tank has a puffy white eye and they are not moving much, what is that. Hope they are not next!

Just to make sure, I want to keep the tank without fish (just snails and hermits) for a month. Will this guarantee that the ich is gone?

Tank Setup
Niger Trigger
Maroon Clown
BiColor Angel
Crushed Coral 60lbs

Dean Martin.
Old 11-13-2003, 02:15 AM   #16
steve-s

2 tspn is fine but did you confirm the reading after adding the copper to be sure it was not over the 0.25 ppm mark?

I am also wondering what the ph level was.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriggerHappy
since it was under my tank with the doors shut
This part somewhat concerns me and if there was insufficient O2 available there could have been a sharp drop of ph in the QT. I would suggest leaving the doors open on the cabinet and aggitating the water to see if that helps the damsels. Is there a small low GPH PH available to place in there at the surface?

Cheers
Steve
Old 11-13-2003, 02:19 AM   #17
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriggerHappy
i used 1 tbsp for each 4 gallons, so 2 1/2 tbsps in a 10 gal tank.
Sorry, I just re-read this. You mean 2 tablespoon or 2 teaspoon?

Quote:
Just to make sure, I want to keep the tank without fish (just snails and hermits) for a month. Will this guarantee that the ich is gone?
4 full weeks after all fish are removed will eliminate the parasite from the display tank.

Cheers
Steve
Old 11-13-2003, 02:44 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Activist

My mis-type it was 2 1/2 teaspoon, not tablespoon, that woulda definetly nuked em! PH was 8.2. I will take your advice and place the powerhead closer to the surface and leave the cabinet door open, see if that helps. I definetly want to learn from this mistake, but I want to make sure I qt correctly in the future. I did not have a test kit, but made sure I measured correctly, im definetly going to pick up a test kit tomorrow.

Tank Setup
Niger Trigger
Maroon Clown
BiColor Angel
Crushed Coral 60lbs

Dean Martin.
Old 11-13-2003, 11:31 AM   #19
steve-s

Sounds good, just remember to monitor for ammonia and nitrite as well..

Cheers
Steve
Old 11-13-2003, 02:39 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Activist

ughhh! Victim #2, domino damsel....this really bites, guess I'm startin from scratch...there is still the striped damsel in the qt, last one left. The inverts are doing well in the main tank at least and I know the ich will be gone. I will DEFINETLY quarantine newcomers in the future to prevent this. Hard lesson learned.

Tank Setup
Niger Trigger
Maroon Clown
BiColor Angel
Crushed Coral 60lbs

Dean Martin.

Tags
ich, trigger

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com