Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-05-2003, 02:40 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to TriggerHappy Send a message via MSN to TriggerHappy Send a message via Yahoo to TriggerHappy
Trigger with Ich?

I think my new niger trigger has ick. He may have had it when I bought it. He had a white spot on his body, I should have noticed this. But it seems to have multiplied on his body. What do I do? I don't have a quarantine tank. Does the product, nox-ich work? Should I reduce the salinity in the entire tank. Other fish in the tank are two damsels and a few snails/crabs. Help!!

Tank Setup
Niger Trigger
Maroon Clown
BiColor Angel
P-H 8.2 Ammonia 0 Nitrite 0 Nitrate 10-15ppm
Crushed Coral 60lbs
1 MaxiJet 1200 PH, 1 ZooMed PH, XP2 Filstar

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. They wake up in the morning and that's the best they're going to feel all day."
Dean Martin.
TriggerHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 03:09 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to TriggerHappy Send a message via MSN to TriggerHappy Send a message via Yahoo to TriggerHappy
Sick Trigger ??

I think my new niger trigger has ick. He may have had it when I bought it. He had a white spot on his body, I should have noticed this. But it seems to have multiplied on his body. What do I do? I don't have a quarantine tank. Does the product, nox-ich work? Should I reduce the salinity in the entire tank. Other fish in the tank are two damsels and a few snails/crabs. Temp is @ 82 currently, should I raise it? Can I use a new 10 gal with water from the main tank as a temp qt tank?

Tank Setup
Niger Trigger
Maroon Clown
BiColor Angel
Crushed Coral 60lbs

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. They wake up in the morning and that's the best they're going to feel all day."
Dean Martin.
Old 11-05-2003, 06:03 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

well, since I haven't heard any advice, I'll add to my dilemma. I just went out and bought a 10 gal to use as a QT tank. I think I will put the water from the main tank for the QT, put in a heater and treat the trigger with some nox-ich or cupramine. That should be a start. Oh yeah, and probably a fresh water dip.

Tank Setup
Niger Trigger
Maroon Clown
BiColor Angel
Crushed Coral 60lbs

Dean Martin.
Old 11-05-2003, 07:22 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

advice anyone? I got my 10 gal, going to set it up as a qt tank tonite. Should I use the water from the main tank to get it started and will the trigger be ok in there for a couple weeks?

Tank Setup
Niger Trigger
Maroon Clown
BiColor Angel
Crushed Coral 60lbs

Dean Martin.
Old 11-05-2003, 11:47 PM   #5
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriggerHappy
and treat the trigger with some nox-ich or cupramine. That should be a start. Oh yeah, and probably a fresh water dip.
Skip the FW dip and the nox-ich and go straight to the cupramine if you wish to use a med. Chelated copper will be much more affective than a malachite green product. There is also the option of hyposailinity.

Cheers
Steve
Old 11-06-2003, 12:01 AM   #6
steve-s

I have also merged your other posts so people will get a clear picture of your problem.

How large is the trigger? The 10 gal QT would be fine if the trigger is still small <2".
Using the display tanks water is fine but do not fiddle with the temp leave it at a constant level in the 80-82° area.

Cheers
Steve
Old 11-08-2003, 03:03 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

ok...the trigger is small - bout 2 inches. The fish in the tank are the trigger and two damsels. I notice them scratching along the coral, a sign of ich. So I am pretty sure they have it now. I have the qt tank setup. I assume the only way Im gonna be able to kill off the parasite is to get ALL the fish out of the tank for 4 weeks which means I have to qt all the fish. Can I put them all in the 10 gal at the same time. Or what other option do I have. Don't wanna medicate the main tank.

Tank Setup
Niger Trigger
Maroon Clown
BiColor Angel
Crushed Coral 60lbs

Dean Martin.
Old 11-08-2003, 03:12 AM   #8
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriggerHappy
I assume the only way Im gonna be able to kill off the parasite is to get ALL the fish out of the tank for 4 weeks which means I have to qt all the fish.
That would be correct. If you want to be done with it once and forever, it's the best way.

Quote:
Can I put them all in the 10 gal at the same time. Or what other option do I have. Don't wanna medicate the main tank.
That would be quite a tight squeeze. Any chance of getting a larger container like a 20 gal?

Cheers
Steve
Old 11-08-2003, 03:27 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

I should have prob gone with the 20 gal off the bat, but I'm kinda stuck with the 10 now. I'll have to figure something out. What about performing the hyposalinity. Can I do this in the main tank. I only have a couple pieces of LR in there which I could move to the QT tank and some snails. Maybe this is an option. :|

Tank Setup
Niger Trigger
Maroon Clown
BiColor Angel
Crushed Coral 60lbs

Dean Martin.
Old 11-08-2003, 09:57 AM   #10
steve-s

You can do that however you will have to be very watchful of the water quality as the hypo would kill everything living in the substrate and could cause some nasty ammonia spikes. The greatest threat is with that amount of potential die off all at once, you may not be home to do something about it and personally I think the QT would be more managable. If you do opt for the main tank, try syphoning as much CC as possible into the small tank when you transfer the water, although you will only get some as 60 lbs is alot.

Keep in mind that the only thing hypo will not kill is the fish and bacteria.

Cheers
Steve

Tags
ich, trigger

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com