Trigger with no lateral control

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aw_Ref

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Need some suggestions. My pink tailed trigger appears to have lost all of his lateral control. He can move forward, but ofter ends up "tipping" forward and bumping into the side of the tank or substrate. No phyiscal signs of injury, just the inability to control his movement for almost 2 weeks now. He is eating if the food falls right in front of him.

No other issues with any of the fish in the tank. Not sure if this is a permanent affliction, or something that it will overcome. Seems a bit inhumane to force him to continue going if he can barely move.

Look closely for any other external signs. Any white puffy spots, small white or black specks, etc. Does it seems like his fins are trying to manuever him but can't or does it just seem more "disoriented"?

some more detailed in the symptoms might help us.

in the mean time, get a QT set up ASAP. You will most likely need to take him out for treatment or at least observation.

All fins are undulating. Color is good. Doesn't act or seem disoriented (ie. wandering aimlessly). Best way I can describe it is like a boat without a rudder. Is unable to gain any height in the tank. He just bumps around the lower 1/4 of the tank.

Was the trigger purchased from a local LFS/did you see it captured & bagged? If so, was it an easy caught or hard, was it wedged with a net at all or was there any thrashing of any kind?

Also look at the triggers belly and see if there is any sign of swelling, discoloration on the sides or bloody near the base of the tail?

Cheers
Steve

Just out of curiosity... how old is he?

The reason I ask is that I was given a 7 year old velvet damsel earlier in the year . He did not deal with the stress of being caught and transferred and behaved the same way that you are describing. After discussing the condition with two trusted LFS, one suggested that he had had a stroke type event and that she had seen this before in older fish. The other LFS said that she had seen this happen in fresh water fish, but had never seen it in salt. I don't know if strokes are even possible in fish, but found it an intersting thought.

I ultimately had to euthanize him as his constant twirling on his tail was causing large wounds.

JG,

Not sure how old he is. I've had him 18 months and he has always been the bully of the tank. I recently moved and had to have the tank moved. Was an easy catch and release in the move, but this behavior started about a week and a half after the move. Based on your description of your damsel, it sounds very similar. My trigger is still alive and kicking (been about 4 weeks now), just kicking a little less than he did before.

I was wondering it was possible for fish to stroke, but that just sounded too stupid to ask. Thanks to all for the responses.

Back
Top Bottom