Triggerfish Jerky- help Pablo live!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Genix

Aquarium Advice Regular
i got home from work today...noticed my picasso trigger wasn't out swimming around. i currently don't have a lid on the tank and the first place i looked was behind the tank. there he was...dried up and dead. i went to scrape him off the carpet and he grunted! then i saw his gill covers moving. i quickly dropped him in the water. at first he just sank to the bottom because his fins were stuck together. after a minute he started trying to swim and he has now lodged himself into a coral skeleton and appears to be doing okay for what he's been through. he has red over parts of his body (i'm thinking busted capillaries). think he'll make it??? anything i can do for him?

Just make sure he has ideal water conditions. You might have to do a water change if you dont.

WOW! What a story if he makes it......best wishes to you.....I hope he pulls through....how is he doing now?

20 hours later and he's still alive! he hasn't moved at all since he wedged himself between a rock and coral skeleton, but his breathing rate is normal. it's impossible to get a pic of him now, but i have a very short video clip of when i first dropped him in the tank. unfortunately i have nowhere to upload it! can anyone help me out with that?

here he is pre-jerky.
img_522841_0_a2367993e3b82c993f65aad5c1d55198.jpg

well i today i turned on the light on a 20g i use for growing out cardinal babys and i could only find 2 out of 3 so i look on the floor since reading this and of corse my 3 month old baby is on the floor when i grabed it by the tail it moved a little so i put it in the tank and held it in my palm and it started breathing real slow and kept going faster and about 20 minits it got up and slowly swam away and its doing fine after 9 hours so everything is good i think and thier is now a lid on the tank.

On somewhat of a tangent approximately 10% of fish that are caught and released die. So considering that this case, is similar to that of a caught and released Tuna (Which don't breathe while fighting) I'd say the fish has an 80% shot of living if it was out for less than 15 minutes.

P.S redness in the eyes and on the gill cover is normal for a fish out of water.
P.P.S I just got the reference to Killing Pablo

no intended reference, seafan. my trigger's name is pablo. pablo picasso ;)

i'd guess that he was out of the water for at least an hour. he was crisp to the touch...

i dunno if he's still alive or not. he took up hiding inside a rock and i don't want to stress him.

Triggers are really hardy fish.
When i bought my first piece of live rock it had a niger trigger as a hitchhicker inside. lol
Hes doing fine now, considering he hid in the rock for 2 days.

I'm pretty sure Pablo will be ok.

sorry for your loss. When my father and I went on our fishing trip to Canada we had a smallmouth bass on a stringer and he was out of the water for an hour and lived through it. We let him go because we had already caught tons of walleye. YUM :)

I bought some eggcrate for my tank but have never used it. You got me thinking. Was it in the 15 gal? Sorry for your loss.

Back
Top Bottom