Trumpet coral tissue recession

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mebbid

Aquarium Advice Addict
I bought 4 polyps of a krypto candy cane coral to try my hand at stony corals and am just not having any luck with it.

Over the past month I have yet to see its feeder tentacles although it will eat if I drop some food directly onto its mouth which is very difficult with my shaky hands :)

Two of the polyps have receded into almost nothingness, one is doing okay, and another is receding but is still clinging on to life.

I was wondering what I should attempt to do to fix it.

Parameters:
Ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate - 0
Calcium - 440
Phosphate - .25
pH - 8.1
dKH - 7

I am running a 120w LED dimmed to about half over my 20 high tank. Other corals include zoanthids, mushroom, xenia, kenya tree, GSP, and a finger leather which are all growing extremely well.

Is there too much flow on the candycane. Mine doesn't like much flow at all. If I get a powerhead pointed at it that side will shrivel and retract. As for feeder tenticles, they only come out at night.

Is there too much flow on the candycane. Mine doesn't like much flow at all. If I get a powerhead pointed at it that side will shrivel and retract. As for feeder tenticles, they only come out at night.

I have about 6 hours every day where I am home with the tank lights off. Even looking at it very often with the lights off there still haven't been any feeder tentacles.

But you didn't answer the glow part of the question

It's unlikely there is too much flow. The flow isn't terribly strong in my tank to begin with and it's sitting 12 inches below the powerhead not getting anything that even remotely resembles direct flow.

My candycane only puts out the feeder tenticles when it is dark. Not just lights off, but the room has to be dark. During the summer, I only see them if I get up a night and stop by for a peek.

If they are really happy like mine they eat all day

Attachments

• image-2456846736.jpg
    image-2456846736.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 155
I haven't had much luck with the super green ones under LEDs. I havea white colony that seems to grow a head a week, but the greens stayed shriveled up. I ended up giving them away since I had plenty of sps and wasn't about to turn the lights down.

I haven't had much luck with the super green ones under LEDs. I havea white colony that seems to grow a head a week, but the greens stayed shriveled up. I ended up giving them away since I had plenty of sps and wasn't about to turn the lights down.

Well that bodes poorly for my first lps :( What other ones might you suggest I try instead of that?

I had a red/green and blue varieties under my radions. Both side by side. Red/green died and the blue is growing, nicely inflated, and splitting. I'd never try trumpets again. They say an easy coral but I think it is too picky.
Have you tried to move it around again?

What other LPS? Everyone loves frogspawn/hammer/torch corals. Bubble corals are cool, Acans are also nice. Scolymia, fungia (short tentacle only, NOT long tentacle heliofungia), Duncanopsamma (thought they seem to take a long time to acclimate to the LEDs)...
I'm partial to the Aussie corals like scolymia, Moseleya, and acanthastrea. I love hand feeding them.

I had a red/green and blue varieties under my radions. Both side by side. Red/green died and the blue is growing, nicely inflated, and splitting. I'd never try trumpets again. They say an easy coral but I think it is too picky.
Have you tried to move it around again?

I did try moving it again so we will see how it holds up.

What other LPS? Everyone loves frogspawn/hammer/torch corals. Bubble corals are cool, Acans are also nice. Scolymia, fungia (short tentacle only, NOT long tentacle heliofungia), Duncanopsamma (thought they seem to take a long time to acclimate to the LEDs)...
I'm partial to the Aussie corals like scolymia, Moseleya, and acanthastrea. I love hand feeding them.

I am very partial to the torch and acans. I just want to ease into the more difficult stuff so I don't keep killing things.

Well, the new placement seems to have helped for the time being. I put them way out of the way and even added a rock in front of them to misdirect even more flow. One of the polyps that I thought for sure was a goner looks to be in a slightly better condition now so my fingers are crossed

Back
Top Bottom