Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-18-2011, 11:03 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thats fine,,but like i said, for me proof is in the pudding...i have done hypo on every fish i ever got over a 6 year period..Not a single loss..
So to the OP ,,IME and IMO hypo is the best and safest way to treat your fish..When done " properly " it will kill ich and the fish will be just fine..
Good luck wheels

FTMMWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 11:23 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks for all the feedback! I've read all the links, and many more...and no one seems to be able to make up their mind. I've gotten 1.008 to 1.015. That's a big freakin' range!

Anyways, this morning both of the tangs were dead I guess they just had too much on them - I haven't even gotten the salinity down. My other fish (clown pair and firefish) are doing well STILL

Even though the clowns and firefish are well and have never shown any spots of ich throughout two outbreaks, should I still keep them in QT? Maybe 4 weeks since they have no spots? I'm guessing I need to leave my display tank empty for at least 8 weeks??

So lesson learned, I'll quarantine from now on (it only took $90 worth of dead fish to figure that out )

30g FOWLR Tank
8g Mantis Shrimp Tank
all4wheels2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 11:26 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

So sorry to hear about your fish, really stinks. :-(

It took me loosing 6 fish tostart a qt practice. sorry you learned the hard way.

Good luck, and again sorry about the tangs....beautiful fish
Old 09-18-2011, 11:35 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thats a bummer..sorry to hear that..,but like Carey said,,its how so many of us the learn.."the hard way" ..

Yes ,leave your DT empty for 8 weeks,,trust me ,it seems long now ,but in a year from now when its full of healthy ich free fish it will be a distant memory.
FTMMWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 11:44 AM   #15
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTMMWS View Post
Thats fine,,but like i said, for me proof is in the pudding...i have done hypo on every fish i ever got over a 6 year period..Not a single loss..
So to the OP ,,IME and IMO hypo is the best and safest way to treat your fish..When done " properly " it will kill ich and the fish will be just fine..
Good luck wheels
I agree 100%. I've always gone down to 1.009 (measured with a properly calibrated refractometer) and never had any issues.
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 07:12 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks all.

I decided to just redo my main tank while my fish are sitting in QT for 6-8 weeks. I completely broke it down and am setting it back up and re-cycling it. I guess I'm going to be ich paranoid now, and want to do everything possible to get rid of it, even if I have to start over

Will definitely use a QT from now on Don't want any more dead fish.

I only had a few pieces of live rock (which I'll put back in the tank), but the rest was all dry rock, so it should be ok left out right?

I syphoned the top layer of sand, but didn't want to replace it since I have hermits and snails in there.

30g FOWLR Tank
8g Mantis Shrimp Tank
Old 09-20-2011, 01:11 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If u r cycling with snails and hermits than they will die.
Also your base/dry rock had beneficial bacteria on it. When u leave it out of the water for too long it's dead

Ick is also a sign of stress! Make sure your fish aren't stressed e.g. Dont place tangs in a 40g
Unicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 11:36 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

Snails/hermits - replaceable since there are only a handful in there.

Dry rock bacteria - it grew once, it can grow again. Besides, I don't think it has that much since I originally started the tank back in July this year.

I got the whole stress thing, what I don't get is the tang thing - definitely a finicky fish, especially the Regal Blue (Dori). My yellow was actually quite fine in the tank...until I put the blue one in. And I'm not so sure it was my tank size that stressed him out, as he was in a smaller one in the fish store with more fish in it and had been there for a while. I'm more leaning toward just the stress of another change, and they seem to be very un-hardy fish.

But alas, I won't be adding anymore tangs until I get my 200g. But probably not even then, I've had my fill of them lol

30g FOWLR Tank
8g Mantis Shrimp Tank
Old 09-20-2011, 12:29 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by all4wheels2
Snails/hermits - replaceable since there are only a handful in there.
Sad how some people just don't have respect for any life... Every creature deserves better than that. There are 6 billion people out there, who cares about a few hundred dying in war...
Unicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 01:58 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

Wow...taking some things way to seriously. If you have that much regard to life, then why are you keeping wild animals in a box???

Oh, and if you must know, my snails and hermits are doing just FINE. Still alive and very active.

Thanks for your input

30g FOWLR Tank
8g Mantis Shrimp Tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com