turbo snail help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PistolPete

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've been noticing my turbo snails have been as active as they normaly are. Especially my large one. Yesterday I noticed the shell was empty and found an odd disk thing next to it. Is my snail dead? If so what happened?

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110611_013248.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110611_013248.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 181
  • ForumRunner_20110611_013317.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110611_013317.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 162
Yes, unfortunately your turbo snail has died.
That 'disk' is the snail's operculum (sort of a trap door).
During life the snail's soft tissue is firmly attached to it, and it provides extra protection from external threats when the snail as withdrawn within its shell.

A detached operculum is pretty much a sure sign of the snail's demise and an indicator that the soft body of the snail is no more.

Hard to say for sure. Probably not old age unless it was very huge (e.g., the size of a small plum).

How many turbo snails do you have and is there enough algae for all of them? How long have you had it?

It has been 4 months since it has cycled and about 3.5 months since the live stock has been introduced. There were 4 turbos. From what I understand they are pretty nocturnal, but when I first got them they were always out and about during the day. This is not the case anymore.

It seems like to me that it might have died from starvation, as I do not have much algae in my tank. Is that what you are thinking as well?

Back
Top Bottom