Turbo snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bray84

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi over last two weeks all my turbos are dropping and dying, the only thing that's changed is the temp as it's been really hot here and my tank has reached 82 for few days but have got it down to 78. Could it be the heat or something else.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1406968367.727034.jpg

I use hanna,Red Sea and salifert

My nitrite is zero and my ammo is zero aswell

Well asked the guy at lfs and he said most likely the heat as few people have said their turbos are dying.

80 gal with over 40 kg rock

Had 8 in and think only got 1 left

I don't think 82* is going to kill snails, unless it's swinging rapidly from the low 70s. My guess is starvation, turbos can eat a lot of algae, I'd say keep it to 1 or 2 and supplement with a couple smaller snails like ceriths or trochus if needed.

I ain't got clue as I leave the back wall for them and had few off them for over yr, just going see if got any left then add a few see what happens.

I have a pair of turbo snails in a 50 gallon shallow stock tank that I use as a refugium. I have them in there because I believe they will not find ample food in my 105 gallon display. I add nori for them daily. They eat about a half sheet of nori (approximately 10" x 5")every other day. Some surface algae on the back wall may not be enough for them.
If this is the case, adding more snails is not the answer. I would add algae.

Thanks mr x just wondered why as had few for ages then added few more then started dropping. Not going add any more as I've been cleaning up my tank from bad algae so don't think going be enough food for them plus can clean the glass myself and my crab can look after the rocks.

Back
Top Bottom