Two dead clowns. Gutted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Adamski

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I woke up this morning and the first thing I do is check my tanks. I have a 40 gallon tank and the only occupants were 2 common clowns. They were both dead on the sand :-(

My parameters are

Ammonia- 0
Nitrate - 0
Nitrite - 0
SG - 1.025
PH - 8.2
Temp - 77.9
I feed them pellet food as they weren't fond of frozen

The only thing that has changed in the last 8 days is that the clowns had gone from spending all their time with each other, but yesterday they were at opposite ends of the tank, one high up, one low down. I'm totally stumped

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I've had them 8 days. They were drip acclimated.

Did you know wither they were captured from the wild or they were captive breading? Some part of Indonesia and Philippines, use drugs to stun and catch fish from the reef for selling. This leaves the fish week and very poor prospects for long term survival. Keep this reason to the last and try to figure out what could be the real reason.

========

It is always nice to believe that am a fish too .. For at least an hour each time

I'm not sure is the honest answer to that. They were juveniles so I don't know if that has any baring on it?

I'm not sure is the honest answer to that. They were juveniles so I don't know if that has any baring on it?

What testing kit do you use?

========

It is always nice to believe that am a fish too .. For at least an hour each time

Both are well in date

What variety were they? If they were not the classic occelaris they would for sure be captive raised but most clowns in the hobby are captive raised I believe so I'm at a loss, whatever killed them affected both fish. Ae there any corals or inverts in your tank?

No signs of parasites or disease?
Brookinella is very lethal to clowns and can kill that fast, but it leaves very definite evidence with spots and sloughing off the slime coat.
You wouldn't happen to have any pics do you, that would help a diagnosis.

Is it possible any type of contaminant got into the tank?

They are common clowns. No sadly I didn't take pictures purely down to the fact they looked exactly as they did alive. There is nothing else in the tank apart from them. I've had fish all my life and have never had such bad luck.

They are common clowns. No sadly I didn't take pictures purely down to the fact they looked exactly as they did alive. There is nothing else in the tank apart from them. I've had fish all my life and have never had such bad luck.

Any cleaners used around the tank lately? Im thinking accidental chemical introduction to the tank if not internal parasite.

No, nothing like that at all. I just can't figure it out :-(

Do you guys think I should go a head and get someone else to occupy my tank or wait until I figure out what happened? I don't want this to happen again.

Do you guys think I should go a head and get someone else to occupy my tank or wait until I figure out what happened? I don't want this to happen again.

How old is your tank ?

========

Back
Top Bottom