Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-06-2004, 06:31 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to Dewey
two ? Small worm and mushroom

Last night i noticed two small whitish almost kind of clear worms moving in and out of a rock. One was about a inch long and the other was about a half inch long. The rock that i seen them in has mushrooms and a few small feather dusters. Are these ok?

Mushroom? I have a single mushroom that has what looks like a small white spot in the middle of it. (looks like really small pieces of pasta)This mushroom does not open all the way. Could this be some type of parasite?

Thanks in advance Dewey

Old 02-06-2004, 11:47 PM   #2
steve-s

Re: two ? Small worm and mushroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey
Last night i noticed two small whitish almost kind of clear worms moving in and out of a rock. One was about a inch long and the other was about a half inch long. The rock that i seen them in has mushrooms and a few small feather dusters. Are these ok?
Most worms you will find are primarily safe with the exception of a rare few. Chances are it is either a common bristle or peanut worm. I know it can be near impossible but a pic would tell for sure.

Quote:
Mushroom? I have a single mushroom that has what looks like a small white spot in the middle of it. (looks like really small pieces of pasta)This mushroom does not open all the way. Could this be some type of parasite?
The hole would probabley be the shrooms mouth. They are much like an anemone in anatomy similarities. The white strand is most likely a mesenterial filament that they extend when trying to capture prey from the water column. If it is continually closed up it could be irritaed but that does not mean parasites. They do not like excessively strong light or water flow and should not be placed near corals with strong toxins or nematocsyts.

Cheers
Steve

Tags
mushroom, worm

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com