Uh-oh Bad stuff is happening

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Charlie

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a large Pearl Coral which I believe is in the Bubble Coral family. Part of the Pearl has been receeding with a little apparent die-off. Next to the Pearl is a rock covered with BIG green Mushrooms.

This morning when I went to feed the reef/fish, I noticed that a brown slime was covering several Mushrooms and part of the Pearl. Looks like the corals are turning into slime!

Water parameters are all normal.

What's up with this?

Siphon the brown jelly, perform a water change, direct water flow once brown jelly was removed, and add carbon. Depending on how much tissue is affected, the bubble (Plerogyra sp.) might have to be removed to a qt and/or any necrotic area flushed with sw, iodine (Lugols, etc) administered. If most or all of the mushrooms are beginning to turn to mush, do remove them.

It definitely sounds like Brown jelly disease. Sounds like James has a good plan there. Moving this to the sick fish/coral forum.

Usually brown jelly is not the initial cause of coral mortality, but the after effects and what you are witnessing is protozoans consuming the tissue.

Here is a pic of a torch coral of mine that Brown jelly. It started with that one and as James said it is contagious and spread to two more heads.

Attachments

• 100_0329_119.jpg
    100_0329_119.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 42
  • 100_0325_132.jpg
    100_0325_132.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 42
  • 100_0324_538.jpg
    100_0324_538.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 45
I've also lost a few torch coral heads from brown jelly (which in turn set in becasue my clowns battered the poor defenseless coral to death). :)

It's not fun, but like said, contagious.

Innovator said:
Siphon the brown jelly, perform a water change, direct water flow once brown jelly was removed, and add carbon. Depending on how much tissue is affected, the bubble (Plerogyra sp.) might have to be removed to a qt and/or any necrotic area flushed with sw, iodine (Lugols, etc) administered. If most or all of the mushrooms are beginning to turn to mush, do remove them.

I thought this was a pretty good plan. It was posted earlier.

I did everything listed except iodine (Lugols) administered. Wasn't sure what that meant or how to do it.

Both of the affected corals were put into a 10gal quarantine tank. Green mushrooms completely diintegrated into brown stringy slime. Pearl is quite receeded buy is still alive. I sucked off the slime and did a 40% PWC. We'll see what happens.

I should be moving everything from its current 46 bow to a new 72 bow within a week. Just waiting to get the fuge into the base cabinet which requires partial disassembly.

Back
Top Bottom