Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-17-2013, 10:28 PM   #1

uh oh. ich?

Ok so I just added a coral beauty and lawnmower blenny to my tank.within the last few days ....I came home today and fear my coral beauty has some ich on her..I dont see it in my clowns firefish, or lawnmower..yet..ill keep an eye on her..how do you treat this in a sw tank? Inhave corals to btw.

Old 11-17-2013, 11:04 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

You have to get it into a ht and treat with hypo salinity or copper.

Old 11-17-2013, 11:04 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

This is pretty much the bible of treating marine ich.

Marine Ich/Cryptocaryon irritans - A Discussion of this Parasite and the Treatment Options Available, Part I by Steven Pro - Reefkeeping.com

I made the same mistake as you did and paid for it in spades. It's much safer to QT everything before putting it in the DT and is the only way to endure that there isn't a repeat performance of ich in a tank.
Old 11-19-2013, 10:46 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post
This is pretty much the bible of treating marine ich.

Marine Ich/Cryptocaryon irritans - A Discussion of this Parasite and the Treatment Options Available, Part I by Steven Pro - Reefkeeping.com

I made the same mistake as you did and paid for it in spades. It's much safer to QT everything before putting it in the DT and is the only way to endure that there isn't a repeat performance of ich in a tank.
I unfortunately don't have a qt tank...its only a 30 so I only had a few fish going in..but it's defiantly ich I seen a spot on my blenny this morning..I started dosing with garlic extreme in the tank water and food this morning..do I dose the tank water itself Dailey? Any other suggestions?...I'm gonna try this stuff my kordon says its reef safe
Old 11-19-2013, 11:15 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Garlic is a gimmick that the aquarium companies are pushing on people. All it will do is potentially assist in treating some internal parasites.

As for the kordon stuff, I've never heard of an effective in tank reef treatment before so I would be interested to see if it works. I would however suggest you look at it with conservative expectations.
Old 11-19-2013, 11:26 AM   #6

Absolutely I don't have a choice but to try it right now! Lol. There's a lot of mixed reviews on it..I found a lot of people who swear by it..and then some people who just knock it..I know the cause of the stress..so that's not the problem..I added two fish within like 2-3 days..which I also found d out I shouldnt do..especially in a smaller tank..my bad..hopefully I don't pay for it...the store I got my blenny for had ich in one of there tanks..but swore it was on a different system...I doubt it now..oh well..I'll let you guys know how it works!. Oh and the garlic extreme came with my tank so I figured why not try
Old 11-19-2013, 12:43 PM   #7

Now not saying it's the garlic..but I came home and the coral beauty looks better..not as many spots..so I'll keep an eye out...gonna dose the inch stuff today and do a water change tomorrow so well see
Old 11-19-2013, 12:57 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Great news but did you read the article mebid posted? Ich will be on the fish then go back to the sand to multiply and then go back to the free swimming stage then back on the fish- and repeat. I hope the additive works and you may also consider a uv sterilizer.

I also think 30 may be pushing it for the coral beauty LA has its min at 70.

I talked to a marine biologist at my lfs on the ich subject and he is a firm believer it exists in every tank and is only a problem for fish that have low immune system or stressed so just do what you can to keep stress low- keep lights down and lower flow during acclimation period- and you may be alright.

That said I would get a qt for future even a 10g w all the components is like $50 from Walmart.

Good luck!
Old 11-19-2013, 01:03 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

That is absolutely the worst advice I ever heard. Ich does not exist in every tank and you don't just turn the lights down low and hope for the best. I don't think he's much of a marine biologist I'd check for his diploma.
Old 11-19-2013, 01:09 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedogz View Post
That is absolutely the worst advice I ever heard. Ich does not exist in every tank and you don't just turn the lights down low and hope for the best. I don't think he's much of a marine biologist I'd check for his diploma.
Ich has been related to the comoon cold in people, so its very possible for it to be in alomst every tank (short of those that fully qt and preventatively treat for it). secondly, as to the lowering flow and turning lights down, hes talking in regards to acclimation. turning lights down or off and reducing flow def does help in reducing stress. if theres one thing to learn quickly in the sw hobby is that reducing stress reduces outbreaks.

huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com