Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-31-2008, 02:53 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Uhh... :( both clowns died overnight....

I dont know what has happened in my tank... first my tang died and now I came home and both of my clowns died at the same time. All the water parameters are fine. I had both of those fish for a couple of monthes and they died the same day. The two dominoe damsels both are still alive though. Could this be anything to do with not changing the water often enough? Ugh Im new and this is really frustrating like 70$ down the drain and a sad tank.

Old 10-31-2008, 04:20 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Check your alkalinity and PH, assuming good diet, fish were properly acclimated, using chlorine free water, etc. You don't mention any symptoms so it's a guess...

Old 10-31-2008, 04:25 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to Tank2379 Send a message via Yahoo to Tank2379
Smile

You said your new at this... Just wondering if you ever cycled your tank before putting Live Stock in?...
Tank2379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 04:47 PM   #4
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Just some questions. Do you use tap water? Did you cycle the tank? How often are you doing PWC`s ?

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 07:32 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to catmel
How big is the tank? ( gallon wise / size)

What exactly are the water parameters? ( ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, salinity, temp) please test and give results Also have you been 'toping off ' with dechlorinated freshwater?

Did you quarantine them in a seperate tank before adding them to the main?

Also when did you add each individual fish ( one a week, all together etc?) No spots ( red blotches, white or black spots, or a gold dusty covering? parasites?) or other weird things showing up on them?

As for the water changes - Its recommended to change 10-20% of the water every one to two weeks ( maybe only a little longer) if water tests are ok.

Such a variety of things could cause sudden deaths like that.. knowing these things will certainly help. Sorry for al lthe questions, but it will help us help you! Sorry for your loss btw

Just your average LVT (licenced vet tech) trying to help the world's animals!!
- Melinda
catmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 11:50 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Everything was at zero and ph was at 8.2 im pretty sure. The only thing I dont have a test for is the alkalinity... I do use tap water but i did cycle the tank and everything before I put anything in it. I only changed the water 20% once a month though and i am thinking that was the problem. Also none of the fish had any problems that i noticed.
Old 11-01-2008, 08:56 AM   #7
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I would now esp. since you had these problems do weekly PWC`s. I`ve been doing mine weekly for ten yrs now. Also you might want to invest in a RO/DI unit for your water. Read this

Chemistry and the Aquarium

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 03:07 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well... just because you only do 20% water changes a month and use tap water doesn't make two fish die overnight. I think the answers to catmel's questions (size of tank, salinity/temp/nitrate, timing of when the fish went in) would help us try to nail down what's happening.
Old 11-02-2008, 04:11 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Hang in there...I've had issues with my tank too, being new. This place has helped keep my sanity and my fish alive.

Tags
clown, clowns, die, died

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com