Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-23-2004, 07:40 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to ScurdOfCychlidz
um, whats wrong with my hermit crab?

so i bought him last wednesday and he has seemed retarded hasn't moved much or anything...so i grab him and set him down in front of the tank...and he stayed there for like 4 days...so i look today and he is under one of my rocks outside of his shell...and it looks like either A his arms are falling off or B he is shedding..

i think its A...which is really gross and I have no idea why this would be happnenign? my fish arn't picking on him thats for sure..

any ideas?

Old 09-23-2004, 08:03 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to luntiz
he probably just molted and needs some more time to build up strength. Those shells are heavy!

50 Gallon Acrylic Tank (36x15x20)
85lbs Fiji Live Rock
Barebottom
(4) Maxi-Jet 900 (230gph) *Awaiting 2 MJ1200s*

Lighting

(1) 250W 10,000K Aqualine Aquamedic HQI Hanging Pendant
(5) LED Moonlights

Live Stock

(2) Pink Skunk Clownfishes
Goldstripped Maroon Clownfish
Yellow Eye Kole Tang
Fuzzy Dwarf Lionfish
luntiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 08:10 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

man i thought he was dying...here are some pics i took...i swear it looks like his legs are commin off.
Old 09-23-2004, 10:08 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

ok now its totally out of the shell sort of flowing with the current in the water...hmm, is this unusual?
Old 09-23-2004, 10:56 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

here are a couple more pics of his out of body exp..lol, i just need someone to confirm that this is normal..cuz if its not it looks like he is in a lot of pain losin all these arms and stuff...oh btw he only has one pincher...which i find sorta odd
Old 09-24-2004, 12:35 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Thats just him molting and the body flapping in the breese is his molt. He has found his shell unsuitable and need a larger one. Go to your local pet store and get some larger (unpainted and unwaxed) shell. I'll bet he will move in.
Either that or he had a bad molt.

Tags
crab, hermit, hermit crab

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com