Unexpectied killer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

austinph

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
so i was having problem with two of my more senstive corals and for the life of me i couldn't find out why. i checked the water and all of the test came back normal, same water qualty as when it was thriving, i did a water change anyways hoping that would help. my area is hot so i thought the extra heat might do it so i started cooling it down with blocks of ice didn't help. i was perplexed. so in a schedule cleaning of my equipment i found the problem, my powerhead had a metal bar that keeps the spinning thing in place had rusted releasing all sorts of goodness in the water. im writing this so other people remember to check their equipment and dont have to see there beloved corals die before their eyes for no apparent reasons. my corals are doing better today and hopefully as fast as they died they will come back.

Wouldnt the rust only contain iron oxide? I dont see how that could harm the animals seeing as iron is part of the minerals that make up salt water mix.

Matt

its a little odd for a submergible component to contain untreated oxidising metals - i'd consider other sources also, just in case..

thats what i was thinking too it was a cheap 20 dollar powerhead and i checked all my otherpower heads and they have have cermic or plastic rods. and it was clearing rusting it was broken in half casue it rusted so bad next time i buy a powerhead i will check to see if its a metal one. and MRG02d i agree with mel that a rusting object would release more iron oxide then what should be in the water, and since its all ready in the salt probaly at the correct amount, any extra would be bad.

It is odd to me that a manufacturer would make something that could potentially kill like that. All my powerheads have stainless steel rods to support the propeller.

I wonder if iron oxide is soluable in water at all? (chemistry isnt my thing, electronics is ;-))

Just seems likely that something else could be to blame...

Matt

i agree stupid of them maybe they weret expecting it to be used in a salt water tank things rust faster in salt water, or they just didn't care i vote for the not caring. and i appreacate your guys concern and sujesting to look for other sources of the problem. but this was a how i found and fixed a problem not that i have a problem and help. i have already seen night and day improvments after i took out the damaged power head and did a 45% water change to delute the iron oxide.

Back
Top Bottom