Unexplained Death

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

randyorr

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have had several fish die suddenly over the last week.

55 Gallon tank
Spiked Pufferfish
Hippo Tang
Powder Blue Tang
Copperband Butterfly
Maroon Clownfish

30 Gallon Tank
Bicolor Angelfish

All water was tested...
Ammonia - 0.0
Nitrates - 20
Nitrites - 0
pH - 8.2
Temp - 77 Deg
Salinity - 1.023

I also have a Annularis Angelfish quarantined from 55 gallon. It appears he has columnaris.

What the hell is going on here?!

Both tanks use Marineland 350 Filters.
55 gallon has 90 lbs of live rock (cured).
I feed all tanks brine shrimp and flake.

If those are the ones that died, what's still left in the 55g tank other than the Annularis? Seems like even the fish that died were too many for that sized tank. How old is the tank and how long had those fish been living together?

Also, what kinda flake? More than half of those fish need a decent amount of vegetable, so I'm wondering if their diet was OK too.

Hard to say what killed them without knowing more about pre-death signs, activities, or environment, but overcrowding and diet are the first things that come to mind for me.

Didja ever see any spots? White dusting on the fins and/or body?

If all those fish were in the 55 together then that is the reason why. Alot of those fish belong in a bigger tank let alone all of them in there. according to Liveaquaria

Spiney puffer fish at least 70 gallon tank
Hippo tang 70 gallons
Powder blue at least 100 gallons
copperbanded OK
Maroon OK

My guess FWIW, That your fish died from disease from having several fish that should not have been in that size tank. When fish are in a too small enviornment it lowers their immune system thus allowing attack from parasites and disease. Sorry to be the one to tell you this because your LFS sure should have told you this. Good luck

Both tanks have exactly the same readings? Are they liked together? I think a nitrAte reading of 20, over time is still toxic. How long has it been in that range?

All fish were good for over a month before dying. No signs whatsoever. I was feeding them Omega flake, brine shrimp, and this omnivore mix from San Francisco Bay Brand. Nitrates have been 20 whole time tank has been set-up...about 7 months. No aggression either. Anything else? Thanks guys.

I would try to figure out where the nitrAtes are coming from. If you updat "my info" with your tank size/equip/critters, we might be able to help better.

Never told us about the readings on each tank. Linked?

We can't help you unless you tell us more about your tanks. My Info updates are used for that. What kinda substrate? What's in the smaller tank. Filtration, Substrate, etc, etc.

I have asked some direct questions as have others. You're not answering some of them. If you do, we can likely help you much better. 8)

Edited - - Looking back, maybe there's not much we can do for you 'cause there's just too many fish. All kinds of illness and death can occur with that much of a load, stressed inhabitation (lack of space to feel safe and healthy, etc, etc.)

Sorry about the "my info". I didn't know how to use it. Not big on forums until now. Thanks for being patient and trying to help me. I really appreciate it.

How many fish can I put in the 55 Gallon tank without overcrowding? I'm probably gonna have to start over anyways now that everything is dead. I figured like 6.

Juvenile Emperor Angelfish, Naso Tang, Sailfin Tang, Triangle Butterfly, and Gold Stripe maroon Clownfish. Those are the fish I would like to have. Are those fish compatible? What about diet? Should I disinfect the tank to kill any bacteria and parasites?

P.S.
Annularis is hanging in there. Treating him with Maracyn and Maroxy.

My guess is that your NitrAtes are coming from the Bio-Wheels. You may wish to run the filter with out the wheel attachment or replace them frequently. For those that dont know what the Marineland/Penguin Bio-Wheels are http://www.petsmart.com/global/prod...1159054343967&itemNo=4&In=Fish&N=2030059&Ne=2
Click on the picture of the filter to see a better pic. The 350 is the large one on the top right. The bio-wheel is the part where he water flows back into the tank.

Back
Top Bottom