unidentified sick coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

davetherave91

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Can anybody please identify this coral. It was recently purchased by a friend and he has no idea what type of coral it is or what it requires. it was originally a very light brown colour, but within 24 hours of being in the tank it has lost all of its colour. The PH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels are all fine, it has adequate lighting, maybe too much light which might have caused the bleaching. any help would be much appreciated.

yep that would be possible with abit or re-arranging, have you got any idea what type of coral it is?

it looks like a type of leather, but the shot is a bad angle... and what color was it orginally? I think you said light brown... Im thinking leather

Yep it was a very light brown/beige kind of colour. I was thinking a leather as well but im new to the marine world so i'd rather not just go of my own judgement. Im gunna go see what information i can find, thanks for the help :)

Touch it. Is it soft or hard. For some reason it looking like an encrusting montipora to me. If its soft i agree with leather. Parts of it look encrusted tho really "bumpy" and "thin" looking

Schism said:
Touch it. Is it soft or hard. For some reason it looking like an encrusting montipora to me. If its soft i agree with leather. Parts of it look encrusted tho really "bumpy" and "thin" looking

+1 it definitely looks like a monti the way it seems to be encrusting. If it was just recently purchased is there a chance of calling the shop to find out exactly?

Mrc8858 said:
+1 it definitely looks like a monti the way it seems to be encrusting. If it was just recently purchased is there a chance of calling the shop to find out exactly?

Ive looked at it again and im pretty convinced its a montipora.

Back
Top Bottom