Update on sick BirdsNest Coral with pics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stresco

Aquarium Advice Addict
The birdsnest that i got a couple of weeks ago bleached out within one day of placing it into my tank. I drip acclimated it for several hours the way i do with all new live stock before adding it to my tank. I do a 15 gal water change every week on a 55 gal tank, water levels are optimal, except Nitrates wich stay about at about 20-30 because of the eel. I have 2x175W MH CV 20k, and 2xi33W T8 03 Actinics. I use Oceanic and IO salts (2/1 mix, because i am changing from IO to Oceanic) and keep the tank at about 81-82F. The store i got the birdsnest from quickly replaced the coral with a new one that is doing fine (as far as i can tell). Hermit crabs are constantly inside of this coral grazing on it. I have no idea what they are eating. Here are links to 2 large pics that i took today showing the coral. I am hoping it comes back. I have had other corals come back after bleaching out this bad, do you think it will?

Pic #1 taken with flash, timer, tripod, and no pumps or PHs running.
camera Settings:
FL 15mm
F/2.5
ET 1/80 sec
ISO-64

http://www.stresco.us/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/Bleached Birdsnest 052904-01.jpg

Pic #2 taken without the flash. With timer, tripod, and no pumps or PHs running.
camera Settings:
FL 15mm
F/6.3
ET 1/15 sec
ISO-64

http://www.stresco.us/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/Bleached Birdsnest 052904-10.jpg

ISO-64 is the default setting for my camera, and i am not comfortable changing it yet.

Your losing a stop or two of light to the polarizer, also I would thnk a linear would be better for the lens on that cam. Circulars are more for camcorders and low to mid range point&shoot digicams, IMO.

The ISO 64 is fine, although you'll still get a smooth pic at ISO 100 and get a tad more light at the higher speed.

Nopw to the important informatiuon. Those few branchs that still have flesh on them....break them off the skeleton and glue them down, then toss the rest, it's dead. Looks like you didn't have a bleaching event, but an RTN event. From what I can see the of "bleached" areas the coralites are empty.

How is the other one?

bleached out within one day of placing it into my tank.

What RR said. That's not bleaching, but RTN. Stress reaction. Follow what Kevin said about fragging, you may save a couple small pieces.

I went frag crazy and tried to save what i could. I doubt if any of it will live. All of the pieces have some amount of RTN, on one side or the other.

I went out and got some SeaChem Reef Dip from Petco. Got 2 250ML bottles for 7.95 on closeout. I dipped the frags in 1 capfull (5ml) mixed in 1gal of water. I noticed that one of my Monti's looks like it was stated to suffer as well, so i dipped it as well. The bottle said that i should paint on some to the afflicted area. Accidentally, while i was doing this, i spilled the bottle onto the coral and my beige carpet 8O . I the coral looks more purple now than it did before. Before it looked more brownish in color. I hope its gonna be OK :oops: .

Did your carpet turn more of a purple color too after you give it a dip? :p

Good luck with your coral buddy!

Thanks for the good wishes, but it is not looking good for the birdsnest frags. They are going fast. I'd be suprised if there was any flesh left on them when i got home tonight. As for my poor biege carpet...OXICLEAN!!! Took the stain right out 8O . I was shocked. I never thought I was going to get that Iodine stain out of the carpet.

Back
Top Bottom