updated: hammer coral "stringing out?!"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pugpops

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
okay, i JUST had a question about this, following my torch coral is actually a hammer coral, and that it looks like it's acclimating, but now i'm getting pretty scared. one of the branches still looks deflated, and even worse, that it appears that a whole "string" of its tentacles is striped off! it's almost as if it's coming loose or something?! should i take it back to my saltwater aquarium store to see what they can do? (in the picture i circled the "string of tentacles" thats coming off)

Attachments

• IMG_1929.jpg
    IMG_1929.jpg
    249.1 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_1926.jpg
    IMG_1926.jpg
    263.4 KB · Views: 151
pugpops said:
okay, i JUST had a question about this, following my torch coral is actually a hammer coral, and that it looks like it's acclimating, but now i'm getting pretty scared. one of the branches still looks deflated, and even worse, that it appears that a whole "string" of its tentacles is striped off! it's almost as if it's coming loose or something?! should i take it back to my saltwater aquarium store to see what they can do? (in the picture i circled the "string of tentacles" thats coming off)

The pic is not very telling. Hard to see, blurry. But i would not do anything. Let it be. Removing and taking to LFS will only stress it out. Also your LFS wont do anything about it. Gareentees are not long if at all when it comes to livestock.

Get a better pic, but all else looks fine, btw its a branching hammer.

Schism said:
The pic is not very telling. Hard to see, blurry. But i would not do anything. Let it be. Removing and taking to LFS will only stress it out. Also your LFS wont do anything about it. Gareentees are not long if at all when it comes to livestock.

Get a better pic, but all else looks fine, btw its a branching hammer.

I agree with Schism, I would just wait to see what happens. Hard to see what your describing, and the rest of the colony looks good.

okay, i am not very good with this camera stuff. sorry for the blurry pics, but its also because i have to zoom in because the coral is at the back of that tank, but anyway, enough of the excuses... im still pretty worried! it looks like its getting worse and longer and shrinking more..! heres a hopefully better picture (?)

Attachments

• IMG_1939.jpg
    IMG_1939.jpg
    260.7 KB · Views: 150
...That is a really bad way to circle something...

But on topic of what the coral is doing. When members of this family are very stressed, if it is a torch, grape, hammer...they will purge like this. It can either recover for it or it can get worse. That is all dependant on how the conditions/parameters of the tank are. Continued advise from above, leave it there and see how things go. Doing anything else will stress it out more and add to the problem.

Back
Top Bottom