Upside down clown?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stainless_wm

Aquarium Advice Activist
Heres one from the "My fish is swimming upside down" book

I have a tomato clown that has been in a well established tank for atleast 2 months. His only other tank mates are a PJ cardinal, and a Coral banded shrimp, and a few craps for cleanup.

Tonight I fed them, a small pinch of flakes that is almost completely gone in 5 minutes with the filters turned off. After the feed I was watching TV and looked over to see the colwn upside down. "choice words of dissapointment here"
As I watched him, he was struggling to stay upright, his little belly was fat and it appeared to be floating him upside down. He would fight it a little bit then flip over and bob upside down for a few seconds, I just checked on him, he seems better now, Ill check on him again in the morning.

But, I have to wonder, What the hell??? Is it possible that the food gave him gas? Just kinda wierd and I was wondering if any body had any experience with such a situation.

Thanks

Wade :twisted:

Sounds like a swim bladder problem. I'm going to move this to the SW sick fish section.

haha sounds funny, have no clue. this makes me giggle thinking about it. but not funny in the sick sense.

I think you are probbly right, its most likely the swim bladder. He seemed to be doing better this morning, but I didnt get much of a chance to watch him, I was in from work and back out to college, Ill get a better chance to check him out tonight, and again tomorrow when I feed again. Thanks Wade

You said you feed them flake. So I assume they eat from the surface? Maybe it swallowed a bunch of air while gulping the food?

I was going to ask if you have him feeding off the surface. You need to swish the food with your fingers so it will sink below the surface. I dont know if that is the cause but it`s better if they did not eat off the surface.

Lil guy is doing fine tonight, Ill try something a little different (for feeding) tomorrow.

Although now that I think of it, he spends all his time at the surface. There is pleanty of habitat for him, hmmm

Thanks

Wade

Back
Top Bottom