Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-10-2003, 07:26 PM   #1
al
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

URGENT!!!

ok, 1 week ago my tang died. his body was shrinking in behind his head (brain dehydration i'm told). i took him out right away. anyways, now since then, 3 other fish have died and 2 more are going to die soon (clown/damsel). both the remaining clown and damsel are breathing heavy and have ich, but i don't think that ich is the main problem, i think it is only secondary. my levels are:

nitrate<10
ammonia -none
ph -8.3
kh -8
sal 1.021

i took water to the store and they tested it too. none of my corals or inverts are bothered by whatever disease that is going on in my tank, only the fish. i did 2 five gallon water changes, with no noticeable difference. what should i do?

Old 12-10-2003, 07:31 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Assuming you haven't done any treatment whatsoever, I would start QTing the sick fish before they die. Don't underestimate ich even if you think it's not the main issue.

Your NO3 and ammonia level would lead to think that also NO2 are low, but make sure to check that as well. Are you sure the oxygen level is fine?

Finally, depending on tank size, you might want to perform a more robust water change.

That was my $0.02. Now wait for the professionals

Old 12-10-2003, 11:47 PM   #3
steve-s

Re: URGENT!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by al
ok, 1 week ago my tang died. his body was shrinking in behind his head (brain dehydration i'm told).
Whoever told you that, stop listening to them. It sounds more like malnutrition, HLLE or possibley an intestinal disease. What was the main diet for the tang?

Quote:
3 other fish have died and 2 more are going to die soon (clown/damsel). both the remaining clown and damsel are breathing heavy and have ich, but i don't think that ich is the main problem, i think it is only secondary.
C. irritans is rarely secondary and can often infect the gills making it very difficult for the fish to breathe properly. If the fish are dieing quickly, it could also be velvet Amyloodinium ocellatum
Either way, the advice below is excellent and should be done ASAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin_tyme
Assuming you haven't done any treatment whatsoever, I would start QTing the sick fish before they die. Don't underestimate ich even if you think it's not the main issue.
Cheers
Steve

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com