Urgent advice required on poorly seahorses!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sofish

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am hoping there is someone on this site that can help... I am an experienced seahorse keeper and seem to be one of the lucky ones who has bred and kept seahorses in the past with no probs. However I recently purchased 2 giant brazilian reidi seahorses, yellow in colour. Day 1 both fine. Day 2, the male goes from a yellow colour to a pale yellow - what is wrong with him? Anything I can do to boost his colouring? Other than that he is peachy. Second problem (and probably more urgent, time is of the essence here for treatment) - the female, slightly younger has lost her appetite, yet still is interested in food. Has lost weight and is now rapidly breathing. I understand this is an indication of somthing being wrong and I don't want to lose her. The internet is pants for finding answers to her/his symptoms. Can anyone tell me what is wrong and what I need to do? Symptoms have now lasted 3 days and she is getting weaker. Please email me with replies to :- sofies@hotmail.co.uk
Just to add, water temp, salt, PH,water nitrates, nitrites & ammonia OK.
Thank you so much x

Last edited:
The coloration can shift throughout the day depending on environment. What are you feeding them, mysis I assume? Have you tried enriched adult brine shrimp to coax into feeding? Do you notice it flicking its tail/body about as if to scratch or get something off of it? Any pits or skin irritation anywhere? Other than breathing rapidly, what do you notice about it? Is the trigger in the down position? Deworming is an option if you hadn't in QT.

Back
Top Bottom