Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-20-2010, 10:13 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

No, I tried to diffuse the situation first. Prior to this they were the "best of friends." Always found together in the tank. Strange, but true. I rearranged to tank to destroy territorial disputes if that is what was wrong. It worked. Everyone is much happier. I will seperate the shark today to treat him. This way I can lower the salinity without affecting them all.

Old 08-20-2010, 10:30 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

95G and a shark? [moderator edit]

Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Cat Shark, Black Banded

Thats horrible what your doing to it. Sorry.

dannyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 11:07 AM   #13

I didn't ask for your opinion... I wanted help for my problem. Maybe you're not as familiar with Bamboo sharks. Much research has been placed into this
Old 08-20-2010, 11:45 AM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

Lets keep on task here. The matter of the tank size is for another thread after the problem has been solved.

What size QT are you moving the shark to?
Dorm Pico Tank
Jimbo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 12:09 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo7 View Post
Lets keep on task here. The matter of the tank size is for another thread after the problem has been solved.

What size QT are you moving the shark to?
The size of the tank could be part of the problem. Sharks need room to swim, and being that it's not getting it, future problems between the foxface and the shark is a distinct possibility as the shark grows and encroaches further into the fox's territory again. I personally would like to know what "research" was done that you could justify putting a shark in that small a tank.

-Chuck
Krypt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 12:47 PM   #16

I'm not going to get in an arguement about space requirements. See "Aquarium Shark and Rays" by Scott W. Micheal chapter 2 p. 45 and chapter 4. Valid point on the foxface's aggression because of space. I will place the foxface in the smaller quarantine tank and treat the shark in the larger. The quarantine tank is only 29 gal which was a concern for me. I guess I need to find a new home for my foxface if this is true.
Old 08-20-2010, 01:06 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Not trying to beat a dead horse here, but I have to agree with them. You'd be better off finding a new home for the shark. Just because you found maybe one piece of "research" done saying sharks are ok in smaller tanks, it does not disprove the other HUNDREDS of books, websites, forums, etc. to support the fact that sharks of any species need more room then 95 gallons to happily live in.I personaly would never put a shark in anything less then a 180g.
Old 08-20-2010, 01:18 PM   #18
AA Team Emeritus

I do agree with you guys, the tank is way too small for the species. But I was trying to keep this from becoming a big flame fest. I don't know exactly how much his swimming room will help it recover from a venom, but you could be right. I was more focused on treating the shark to keep it alive.

These guys are right. You need to look into rehoming the shark, or upgrading tanks within the next week to month depending on the sharks current age and size. But for now, move the foxface out or bring it to a LFS for some credit, I doubt the shark can withstand a repeat incident.

Good luck.
Dorm Pico Tank
Jimbo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 01:27 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

just a question...how big is the shark now? and the foxface?
that could be a reason why the foxface is being aggressive.
and i hate to be another one whos going away from the actual topic, but i have to agree with everyone else about you tank size. the minimum tank space you need for your shark is 180gal
Old 08-20-2010, 09:42 PM   #20
AA Team Emeritus

"The tank is a 95 gallon setup for the hatching of the egg case."

If this tank is just a hatch/growout tank then you should be fine for a while until it reaches problematic length and girth (over 12" depending on the tank dimensions) and at 4 months old you should be ok for now. Yes, eventually you will need a larger display and primarily due to dimension restrictions of "standard" tanks. Be aware small gobies, blennies, and other benthic fish might be eventual snacks

As far as injury, if the shark's behavior has returned to a more normal state then you may want to leave things be (limit stress) unless you just want to take extra precaution. Depending on the size of the shark, probably around 8" or so?, you might be fine in a 40g breeder (75g would be best) for precautionary treatment. Don't be surprised if the shark doesn't eat as most animals will not take in food if injured. I would worry if the animal has not eaten in a week and you can tell by the stomach mass underneath and from the sides.

Innovator is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bamboo, foxface, injured, shark, sting, urgent

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com