URGENT - Banded Bamboo Shark injured

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Newbysaltwater

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am in need of some input / help.
I have a banded bamboo shark 4 months old, hatched in my aquarium. Healthy specimen, all tank specs are good: Salinity 1.0235, 0 Ammo, 0 Nitrite, about 30 Nitrate, ph 8.4 and GH and KH are perfect. He has had no problems until today.
Just after a water change he and his tank mate, a mature one spot foxface were in a cave together. The foxface has been showing aggression over the last 2 weeks. It appears that the shark has been stunned by the spikes of the foxface. The foxface raised his spikes and backed into the shark.
The shark's breathing is very rapid. No other changes apparent. He is swimming, more than usual actually. I have observed him for over 6 hours with no sign of change. He will not eat, but I don't blame him... I am concerned about his welfare. What do I do??? Do I need to help him or is it just temporary??? Will he be alright?? HELP

Foxface are very venomous. I'm not sure there is anything you can do. Hopefully the shark can filter the poison out of his system. I would separate them immediately and try lowering the salinity of the tank to make it easier for the shark to breathe.

First get the foxface out, if he is aggressive he will come back to finish the job.
Please be careful, it will sting you as well if you let it. Its not deadly to humans, but if you are allergic to insect bites/stings it can be bad.

Then I would slowly lower it to around 1.018~1.019

If you have any corals I would move them out as well, they will get really really pissed off otherwise.

What size tank is this? The shark can be treated in a QT with Nitrofurazone or with an oral med such as Baytril so infection does not set in. I don't see a need to remove corals unless you treat in the main system (I don't advise this) or you drastically reduce the salinity (30ppt will suffice if you decide to drop it).

The tank is a 95 gallon setup for the hatching of the egg case. I only have three fish in it - 1 Foxface, 1 Sleeper goby, and 1 shark - plus the "cleanup crew" (starfish and snails)

How is the shark doing?
Listen to innovator, he knows his stuff. I was just giving you real basic info.

He's doing better. Still labored in his breathing but it's slowing down. Going to try to feed him again today. Thus far still no appetite. No signs of infection or wounds. I am going to see what I can get my hands on in the way of Nitrafurazone. Can I use this even in the big tank or must it be localized in a quarantine tank?
Thanks for the help so far!!!

No, I tried to diffuse the situation first. Prior to this they were the "best of friends." Always found together in the tank. Strange, but true. I rearranged to tank to destroy territorial disputes if that is what was wrong. It worked. Everyone is much happier. I will seperate the shark today to treat him. This way I can lower the salinity without affecting them all.

I didn't ask for your opinion... I wanted help for my problem. Maybe you're not as familiar with Bamboo sharks. Much research has been placed into this

Lets keep on task here. The matter of the tank size is for another thread after the problem has been solved.

What size QT are you moving the shark to?

Lets keep on task here. The matter of the tank size is for another thread after the problem has been solved.

What size QT are you moving the shark to?

The size of the tank could be part of the problem. Sharks need room to swim, and being that it's not getting it, future problems between the foxface and the shark is a distinct possibility as the shark grows and encroaches further into the fox's territory again. I personally would like to know what "research" was done that you could justify putting a shark in that small a tank.

I'm not going to get in an arguement about space requirements. See "Aquarium Shark and Rays" by Scott W. Micheal chapter 2 p. 45 and chapter 4. Valid point on the foxface's aggression because of space. I will place the foxface in the smaller quarantine tank and treat the shark in the larger. The quarantine tank is only 29 gal which was a concern for me. I guess I need to find a new home for my foxface if this is true.

Not trying to beat a dead horse here, but I have to agree with them. You'd be better off finding a new home for the shark. Just because you found maybe one piece of "research" done saying sharks are ok in smaller tanks, it does not disprove the other HUNDREDS of books, websites, forums, etc. to support the fact that sharks of any species need more room then 95 gallons to happily live in.I personaly would never put a shark in anything less then a 180g.

I do agree with you guys, the tank is way too small for the species. But I was trying to keep this from becoming a big flame fest. I don't know exactly how much his swimming room will help it recover from a venom, but you could be right. I was more focused on treating the shark to keep it alive.

These guys are right. You need to look into rehoming the shark, or upgrading tanks within the next week to month depending on the sharks current age and size. But for now, move the foxface out or bring it to a LFS for some credit, I doubt the shark can withstand a repeat incident.

Good luck.

just a question...how big is the shark now? and the foxface?
that could be a reason why the foxface is being aggressive.
and i hate to be another one whos going away from the actual topic, but i have to agree with everyone else about you tank size. the minimum tank space you need for your shark is 180gal

"The tank is a 95 gallon setup for the hatching of the egg case."

If this tank is just a hatch/growout tank then you should be fine for a while until it reaches problematic length and girth (over 12" depending on the tank dimensions) and at 4 months old you should be ok for now. Yes, eventually you will need a larger display and primarily due to dimension restrictions of "standard" tanks. Be aware small gobies, blennies, and other benthic fish might be eventual snacks ;)

As far as injury, if the shark's behavior has returned to a more normal state then you may want to leave things be (limit stress) unless you just want to take extra precaution. Depending on the size of the shark, probably around 8" or so?, you might be fine in a 40g breeder (75g would be best) for precautionary treatment. Don't be surprised if the shark doesn't eat as most animals will not take in food if injured. I would worry if the animal has not eaten in a week and you can tell by the stomach mass underneath and from the sides.

Back
Top Bottom