Uronema

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jcj0033

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I have several fish in my qt tank
1 Scott’s fairy wrasse 2 bellus angels 1 tilefish 1 macelips tang and 9 chromis.
The chromis died one by one until there were only 4 left. I noticed what looked like lateral line disease on my tang and the chromis had red patches on them which I assume is uronema Marinum. I removed 3of the infected chromis and left the rest of the fish in the qt. I have no clue what I should do next...
Should I remove the fish ? Should i dip them ? I have the fish in copper and just started using metro.
How should I deal with this parasite ? It seems like it could be worse than ich or velvet !!!

That's your main issue. That's too many fish for that amount of water. The bell's Angels alone need more than that amount of water to keep them from getting sick. Medicating them in there is not going to do much good (imo) so I would spread them out into multiple tanks to help them heal.
For what it's worth, a quarantine tank should be set up similar to a permanent tank for the fish to get used to their new conditions. If necessary, due to the fish getting sick, the fish should be removed to a hospital tank for medicating because many meds will effect the biological filter. A hospital tank should be a sterile, bare bottom tank that does not have any decor that can absorb medicines. In most cases, in a hospital tank, there also is no filtration. Just an airstone is all that's usually necessary because the med schedule also contains doing water changes so that a filter is not necessary.
I hope this helps. (y)

I couldn't put it in better words. QT/hospital tanks can be just as stressful. Usually large PVC elbows will do a good job of creating hiding areas as they don't care about copper based medications.

I couldn't put it in better words. QT/hospital tanks can be just as stressful. Usually large PVC elbows will do a good job of creating hiding areas as they don't care about copper based medications.
Not to quibble, but when used correctly, QT and Hospital tanks can also be a life saver. (y)

Agreed. I just wish I was one of the fortunate people to have the room for the right setup for one. It would have saved the first stocking of my current system.

Back
Top Bottom