UV or not?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shultz

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just wondered the forums thoughts on UV sterilisers?

I was wondering whether it would be a good idea for me to run one since I don't have a QT? The only trouble is a search on here only came up with one link which didn't really help?

I also presume I will need some sort of pump since I don't have a canister filter only a prizm deluxe HOB...

Cheers Shelton.

I say get a QT tank since it's more important than a UV right now. UV is only good to prevent infections in your display tank, but if properly acclimate your fish, you will not have that problem.

I don't have the room for a QT basically :(

I understand the risks with not having one, but considering I will be looking at 4 or 5 fish max in my size tank I feel its a small risk?

I just wondered if a UV unit would help minimise the risk to as small as possible or would it be a waste on a tank this small?

Cheers Shelton.

I have an 18 watt turbo twist on the return of my canister filter. I went about 4 months before adding it. I couldn't honestly tell you that it has made a difference, since my tank was pretty new when I added it. I basically bought it because I wanted to provide the best possible water conditions I could afford. Fishboy from NY is right though, If you introduce a diseased fish into the aquarium the UV might not save you...the QT definitely will. Go with the QT...I wish I had from day one!

I don't consider them a particularly necessary item either. They are only useful very rarely when you need to clear up a bloom in the water column, and will do next to nothing to reduce the risk from not QT'ing your fish.

BTW If you are eventually going for 4 to 5 fish then, speaking from personal experience, the chance of introducing parasites at some point is very high. So you should at least be prepared for the possibility of needing a QT at some time if treatment is required. You would then need a tank big enough to accommodate all 5 fish while they are treated.

Thanks to all for your opinions, I will leave the UV unit for the time being then :)

I must just add if it was possible for me to QT then I would, but its not me being stubborn or tight I just have nowhere to put one!

Cheers Shelton.

UV can kill the good stuff too. If you want to get sterile water then I would get a Ozonizer with and ORP shutoff switch. This will keep your ORP in check and you won't over sterilze your water. Plus the water is crystal clear.

Shultz said:
I must just add if it was possible for me to QT then I would, but its not me being stubborn or tight I just have nowhere to put one!
Understand that mate, not trying to call you stubborn :lol: Just saying that if at some point you need to treat your fish then you will have no choice, so you should at least be prepared for that possibility.

Oh I wasn't pointing at anybody, everybody on here has been far too helpful for that! I just wanted to point out why.....

I only have a 30 gal now, to have a QT tank its gonna have to be 10-20 gal & the only place I could put that would be in the shed & the temps get v.hot/v.cold there so I think the stress would kill anything.....

Hence the question I know a UV isn't a get out of jail free card, if they were that good then everybody would rave about them at newbies :)

I just wondered if it would somewhat limit the risks as all water has nasties (think about the LR you put in, its still wet) & from what I've read fish are more likely to go down with disease if they are stressed?

Cheers Shelton.

The problem is that it's almost impossible to say how much they help when it comes to prevention. At the same time I'm not really sure if they do any damage either. When you think about it, if the water in the ocean was suddenly sterile then that would be a seriously bad thing. I certainly would never use one on a reef tank, but I've heard of people who do and swear by it. It may well just be a placebo effect :)

This is true, of course I realise that talking to a LFS, however good they are won't normally talk you out of something if they don't think it will do more harm than good...

Really the response on here says something that either people don't use them for whatever reason or those that do don't want to say for risk of being shot down as wrong?

I'll leave things how they are for the time being :mrgreen:

Cheers Shelton.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom