v tail grouperr!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

manny09

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i igave a v-tailed grouper in my tank.. i went to my LFS and was told that it wouldnt be a problem to add another v tailed to my tank.. the grouper in my tank is about 5 uinches big and this new 1 is about 1 and a half inches...

the new small grouper now is missing his tail.. and is very slow to move.. the big grouper kept attacking it.. i now took it out and put it in a smaller tank alone to see if i can help it heal? the fish seems to be pretty scaredd

can anyone think of something i can do to help the fish heal? ... what should i feed him? and any medication or anything to that extent?

V tail groupers are very aggresssive and I would never put one with another fish if I were to house one. Bad LFS advice.

I wouldn't have touched the injured fish as to avoid more stress. Watch for bacterial/fungal infections and maintain pristine water.

What size tank do you have?

500 gallon tank... i have 5 groupers together but theyve been together from the start... i have a v tail, strawberry, 2 panthers, and a yellow grouper?? not shure on the name... i also have 2 ramora and an eal..

my strawberry grouper is about 9 10 inchesl ong... :-D

That is a big tank so your others are probably fine because they were there at the same time.

Can you take the fish back? I would need to see a pic, if it is bad enough it could survive but may not grow it back.

Yes you will need to keep a close eye out for a secondary bacterial infection. As stated above you`ll need excellent water conditions.

I would also soak his food in garlic extreme, to help his immune system.

FWIW you can use regular garlic and mince it up. I have been doing it for a while, nothing wrong with it at all. I even mix some up when I make some fish goo in a blender.

That garlic extreme is good but very excpensive when you can just use regualr garlic.

Back
Top Bottom