VELVET

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Copper, Copper, Copper. If you truly have it, believe me its the best way. Been there done that. You will have to move fast, if your fish have it, velvet kills quick. Are there any other symptoms, rapid gilling, lethargy just hanging in 1 spot, not eating, cloudy eyes, etc?
Can you post a pic, with velvet your may not see any physical marking, diagnosis is made by the symtoms stated above.
Its tricky though, if its not velvet, you don't want to copper treat for no reason.

I stay away from copper, as i dont have aGT tank, and doen want to harm my inverts or LR. Hes eating and moving around alot....his eyes are not cloudy @ all.

If its velvet, hypo won't work. Its well documented. Copper or a formalin based medication are the 2 effective treatments. Just watch him and be ready to move fast. Sorry to tell you this, but if it is velvet, you will have to remove him for treatment and leave the tank fallow.
Keep us posted.

Just got hit by a velvet attack. By the time I diagnosed it (after describing the sugar coating on my fish to my LFS for 3 weeks), it was too late. Lost about 8 fish. I used a product called Revive. Added it to the water, with coral, shrimp snails, and all. Turned of the skimmer for 2 days. It says after 3-4 days, do a 50% water change. Did that and treat again the same way.

Couldn't get all (the 4 left) fish out so I'm hoping I got thru it. Thur all that, the yellow tang, 2 blue/green chromis, & a watchman goby have survived with no signs so far.

I understand the most effective way to deal with it is to remove all hosts - all fish for 5 wks or so, turn the heat up a a bit and the let the velvet find no hosts and die off. I may have to resort to that anyway. If you don't mind, keep me posted on your progress so maybe I can more effectively monitor mine.

Back
Top Bottom