Velvet Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Thumper

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a bad case of velvet and allready lost several fish and the others are not doing so good. I have read up on different treatments and honestly no one around here has the right stuff. My only selection that was recomended was Mardel Maracyn Plus antibacteria. I chose this option but honestly If it doesnt work fast then all my fish are gone. Does anyone know if this will work or not? I stand to lose everything in a 2 day period if it doesnt.

My only selection that was recomended was Mardel Maracyn Plus antibacteria
No, no, no!! That won''t even put a dent in velvet, its a parasite and copper is the solution. Whoever recommended this med needs to read up.
Cupramine is the best tolerated med, I would find it and fast. I lost 3 fish to velvet within 24 hrs when I got restarted in this hobby. You also would need the seachem multitest kit to monitor this particular copper.
Call around, its widely distributed. If you cant find the test kit, PM me and I'll send you mine.
*Moved to the sick fish forum, will get better attention there.*

I did find Maracide Concentrate. A copper based med. Will this work. I'm serious when i say I went to and called 7 different stores here and no one had it. I qt the remaining fish and added the the maracide. Fish seem to be a little better, breathing easier. Let me know and I will next day something if this isnt going to do the trick.

I believe that is for FW, If they have that, they may have coppersafe. Try and get that.

I got Coppersafe. Swapping water now and going to use it. I can guarantee you that I will look like a pharmacy when all this is over. This is crazy running all over looking for stuff. I will STOCK it myself.

I can guarantee you that I will look like a pharmacy when all this is over.
LOL, I have my own medicine cabinet. I swear its bigger than the one we have for the kids.
Do you have the test kit for this med.... very important. Too much copper can kill the fish, not enough will not kill the parasite. Like I said, I have test kits out the wazoo....I can send.
Let me know.

Out of all the test kits I bought today I FORGOT to check on this one. Let me check in the morning and I'll get back to you. I spent in excess of $300 bucks today buying stuff,qt tank,ph, filters etc.,etc.,etc.,etc.LOL I used the recomended dosage and I'll hope for the best untill tomorrow. Is it ok to put the antibacterial additive as well at this point.
I honestly thought i had a grasp on this sw thing untill today, Whew do I stil have a lot to learn. I honestly dont see how somebody could do what I did today without a rodi unit. I went through 60 gallons of water today.
I sure do appreciate all the info you gave me today and I will remember that I promise.
When do I need to do water changes etc. in the qt tank. I know it's overloaded for it's carrying capacity. I have a small to med blue tang, small yellow tang,small clown and two small blennys in a 10 gallong tank. Thanks for all the help.

I used the recomended dosage and I'll hope for the best untill tomorrow.
It will be fine, it only get tricky when it comes to water changes, evaporation, etc.
Is it ok to put the antibacterial additive as well at this point.
I would wait, unless you see symptoms that indicate otherwise.
I honestly thought i had a grasp on this sw thing untill today, Whew do I stil have a lot to learn.
You are definately getting there!!!!!! :) And we all have a lot to learn. I learn something new every day in this hobby, thats what makes it so interesting IMO.
When do I need to do water changes etc. in the qt tank. I know it's overloaded for it's carrying capacity. I have a small to med blue tang, small yellow tang,small clown and two small blennys in a 10 gallong tank.
I don't want to say it...someone stop me. 8O but..you need a bigger tank, big time!! Or split them up. I would suggest a 30-40 gallon. Ammonia is going to give you fits (in a hurry) in that 10 gallon. I would get change water ready (you will need it in the am) and consider the larger tank, soon.
I will look for my similar threads back when I went through the same thing. Maybe it will encourage you a bit.

Thats what I was afraid of. I have another 10 gallons ready to go and more ro water running as we speak. I will see about getting another 40 gallon tank tomorrow and use this one for qt new fish and put something else in the larger one when finished, but who knows when I'll need it again now that i think about it.
In your oppinion if I bought a 20 and split them up would this work equally as well.
If i did a 50% water change daily could i get by for a week or so for the time being?
I've spent way to much money to this point to cut corners but the money only goes so far as you surely know.

In your oppinion if I bought a 20 and split them up would this work equally as well.
It may do, definately on the border though.

If i did a 50% water change daily could i get by for a week or so for the time being?
Sorry to say, it would be very tough in a 10 gallon. Way overloaded. Do a ammonia test in the AM to verify. :|

I've spent way to much money to this point to cut corners but the money only goes so far as you surely know.
Believe me I understand, I am just giving you my opinion based on my previous experiences and research.....have been there and done that.:|

Back
Top Bottom