Vermetid almost killed my Duncan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

goisles1

Aquarium Advice Freak
Here's my long story.. :) ... Learn from me:

In April I purchased a 2 headed Green Duncan for $30. In one months time, there were 10-15 buds popping out around the 2 heads. I was so excited.As time went on.. The buds grew into small heads and this coral was thriving.

One day I noticed a Purple bump on the trunk of the coral. I didn't give it too much though as I thought it might be a new Stem getting ready to sprout. However, over the next month, the spot turned into a tube that stuck out from the side of the trunk of this lovely coral. However, the coral seemed fine.

As time went on, the coral started to lose it's brilliance, if you know what I mean. Color seemed duller, the polyps opened but they seemed thin, and I noticed the Skin of the trunk starting to turn brown.

Of course, as you all know, I had a Vermitid Snail growing on the side of the coral. This "worm" would shoot a web right onto the polyps and they were having trouble opening up. I'm sure this was also REALLY stressing the Coral out. I did some reading and the other night I took the coral out of the DT and closed up the tube with some Superglue. While inspecting the coral, I found another tube forming a few millimeters away so I closed that one up too.

Put the Coral back into the DT and hoped for the best. Some of the heads have died and the green skin on the base was peeling off. I prepared for the worst.

However, in the last 2 days, I've noticed that the stem seems to be turning green again and the remaining heads look 100% heathier when they are open, not thin like b4. I really think this guy is going to survive.

MORAL of the Story is... I you see a tube growing near or on your corals, make sure you take care of it ASAP.

Here's a pic of the coral before I killed the worms... Hopefully I can post some "after" photo's in a few weeks :)
In the photo you can see the Vermitid and how the open polyps look thin and unheathy. You can also see the Color loss on the trunk.
19852-albums720-picture5047.jpg

Should I be doing anything else for this guy to aid in it's recovery?

Thanks for Reading :)

This is what I got online

VERMITID SNAILS
The vermitid snail is yet another critter that lives in a tube. These filter feed by throwing out a mucous "net" to catch food. Most of the time, you won't see the worm but will be wondering what the "spiderwebs" in your tank are. Here's your culprit. They are harmless but can irritate corals if their nets are too close

I would say just make sure of excellent water parameters and you should be OK.

Thanks Mike

Followup Q - What happens to the heads that are now Dead.. Will a new polyp take it's place or will the skeleton always be part of the frag now?

Here are my Parameters (just tested my water before my long post)

Ca = 380
Po = 0
PH = 8.4
Amm = 0
KH = 6drops of the API test - Chart says that is equal to 107.4
Nitrate = 0 (Guess my Macro Algea in the fuge is doing its job)
Nitrite = 0
Temp = 80.1
Salinity = 1.024

I`ve never had a Duncan but I would guess that if a head dies it wont grow back. Maybe someone with some experience can help.

That head is just part of the Duncans skeleton now. In time the Duncan will overgrow it. Beside what Mike posted I would put the Duncan on a twice a week feeding schedule. Duncans grow their best when well fed and with good water movement. I hope this helps...

I feed the tank frozen mysis twice a week and sometime I spot feed the duncan (maybe 2 times a month) using a kids medicine syringe with an air tube attached. Is a diet of mysis enough or should I give them anyhting else? I will DEF spot feed them bi-weekly going forward now.

I also have Frozen Reef Plankton made by San Fransico Bay. But I've only used it once or twice. I don't like the way it stays in the water column. I think the plankton is too small for my fish. The same sized Mysis cube is devoured in 1 minute.

This is the feeder I made from an ear airator and 1/4" rigid tubings. I feed mysis and blood worms...

1)
img_1036168_0_a1468f6dd5e1b6e5ad604c8cf81d34a9.jpg

2)
img_1036168_1_94413e01d0813d39627b6f14e4db279b.jpg

3)
img_1036168_2_9c482f9defb7c37d453fd093fbffac8a.jpg

Back
Top Bottom